Blueberry Lime Muffins
With our big move coming up soon, I have been trying to clean out my freezer (and pantry). I have found a ton of hidden freezer treasures left behind by Jorge (think hot pockets) and discovered that I truly am a sprinkle hoarder.
I was digging around in the depths of my freezer, for all the random things that have fallen down behind the racks, and found I still had one bag left of the blueberries I picked last year! I did pick EIGHT pounds — so really I shouldn’t be surprised that I still had more hidden away.
I also had a lime sitting in my fruit basket that was leftover from my favorite homemade froyo recipe. So I figured why not recreate one of my favorite pairings: Blueberry and Lime! In case you missed it, this recipe from last year for Blueberry Lime Cream Cheese Pound Cake is divine.
These muffins are straight up delicious. I think it helps that my blueberries were so dang juicy that they were literally bursting as they baked. The muffins are also easy to throw together since they use melted butter (no more waiting for your butter to soften!).
Mine were ready start to finish in 30 minutes — perfect Sunday morning breakfast material. 😉
Blueberry Lime Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- zest of 1 large lime, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place paper baking cups into muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a second small bowl, toss together 1/4 cup sugar and half of the lime zest.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Add dry ingredients, alternating with milk, stirring until just combined. Fold in blueberries and remaining lime zest.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle the tops of batter with lime zest and sugar combination.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until the tops begin to lightly brown. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove and serve warm. Or cool completely and store in an airtight container.