Boozy Piña Colada No Bake Pie
When I was pregnant, ALL I wanted was a Piña Colada. I specifically wanted one from the cruise ship Royal Caribbean with an extra chaser of Rum. Of course, I tried the virgin versions…but it just wasn’t the same. I was missing the bite of the rum to cut through the sweetness.
On our family beach vacation to Anna Maria Island earlier this year, I made sure and made up for my lack of Piña Coladas! I brought my monster blender (blendtec – that thing is a beast) to the beach house we rented and we had a Piña Colada every afternoon in the pool. Come to think of it — this may be why I had such a fun time on vacation. 😉
While I was sitting on my float drinking my Piña Colada, I had an idea to make a Boozy Piña Colada Pie. I was tossing around ideas…when I remembered an old school pie people used to make with jello and yogurt and cool whip (You can use cool whip or real whipped cream in this recipe, both work great.). I could easily make that into a Piña Colada Pie…but even better, it would be NO BAKE!
This cake has a ton of pineapple & coconut flavors, but that should be no surprise considering what inspired it! The pineapple flavor is from the jello and the coconut flavor is from yogurt and a little coconut extract. I actually used greek yogurt and you can not even tell! Yay for hidden protein in dessert!
Lastly, you can use all water and no booze, or all booze and no water. Both ways work great! I made Jorge and I a boozy version and the girls a no-booze version. The girls (especially Lyla) ate so much pie I had to physically take the plate away. So I guess we know where that craving was coming from!
Boozy Piña Colada No Bake Pie!
Notes: You can use all rum (and no water) if you like it extra boozy. Or, all water and no booze if you are would like it kid friendly. Also, I gave ingredients for you to use cool whip or real whipped cream – depending on your personal preference.
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice (or water!)
- 1 (3 oz) package pineapple jello mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 (6 oz) coconut flavored yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
- 8 oz cool whip, thawed (or 1 cup heavy whipping cream whipped until stiff peaks form)
- 1 9-inch graham cracker pie crust
- shredded coconut, for decoration
- cherries, for decoration
- In a large microwave safe bowl, mix rum and water. Heat for 1 minute, or until it’s just beginning to boil. Immediately whisk in pineapple jello mix, stirring until dissolved.
- Stir in coconut extract and coconut yogurt. Fold in whipped cream or cool whip, until well mixed. Pour into pie crust. Top with shredded coconut and cherries, if desired.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until set. Enjoy!