This homemade Chicken Soup Casserole recipe is the ultimate comfort food! Filled with shredded chicken and veggies, and topped with flaky crescent rolls, it’s perfect for a family dinner.
For another comforting casserole recipe try my Creamy Ham Casserole.
Chicken Soup Casserole
I took 2 weeks off from work and I didn’t stop running once. Ever feel like you need a vacation from your vacation? This year we stayed home for Christmas. We figured it would be a really relaxed two weeks before the crazy schedule we both have in January.
Well, surprise! It was non-stop go, go, go. 4 different family groups visiting, hosting Christmas, hosting New Years, two teething toddlers (one who has suddenly stopped sleeping through the night again) and much more.
Oh! And we bought a new car — I traded in my soccer mom car (explorer) for the big mama bus. If you see a suburban hurtling your way, know it’s me and I probably have a screaming kiddo in the back. I miss being cool.
The good news? We got to see so much of our family and it was wonderful to get to visit and play tourists in our own city. Bonus: my granny came for the first time for Christmas and we had so much fun getting to spend it with her like we did growing up. Bad news? I’m exhausted going into the new year.
Jorge is traveling a ton and I have a bunch of contracted work to do on top of my regular work. Of course, this is also when both girls have decided to start getting into everything…like kitchen cabinets, toilets and learning how gates work.
This Chicken Casserole Is One Of My Favorite Comfort Foods
So is it any surprise that I am kicking off the new year with comfort food? If you are looking for diet friendly food, I have a ton in the archives…but I needed a big plate of comfort and this is exactly what this Chicken Soup Casserole provides!
This Chicken Soup Casserole is easy to make and doesn’t require any of those cans of “cream of crap”. It has a ton of comforting flavors and is topped with some buttery flakey crescent rolls.
I have made this for years, but finally stopped Jorge from digging in so I could grab photos. Hope you and your family enjoy it as much as we do!
Chicken Soup Casserole
- ½ cup 1 stick butter, divided
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups diced yellow onion, about 1 large onion
- 1 ½ cups chopped celery
- 3 cups frozen mixed veggies - corn, peas, green beans and carrots
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup half & half
- 4 cups cooked & shredded chicken
- salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- a little cayenne pepper, to taste (I added 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 can, 8 oz refridgerated crescent rolls
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13 casserole pan (a 12x8 works great too) with butter or non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot (like a dutch oven), melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add in onion, celery and mixed veggies. Cook until wilted, about 7 minutes.
- Add 4 remaining tablespons butter, let melt. Stir in flour until well combined, continue cooking for 2 minutes. Slowly add chicken stock and half & half, stirring after each addition. Let cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken and season to taste.
- Transfer mixture into prepared casserole pan. Unroll crescent dough into 2 long rectangles. Press edges and perforations to form 1 rectangle. Place dough over chicken mixture.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve immediately!
- To make ahead: Prepare filling and place in casserole pan. Then top with foil and refridgerate. When ready to serve, remove from fridge and let start warming up on the counter. Preheat the oven. Once the oven is preheated, top the casserole with crescent dough and bake as instructed!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.