If you’re in search of a super moist chocolate cupcake recipe, these Devils Food Cupcakes are the dessert for you! Frosted with homemade chocolate buttercream, these rich, dense cupcakes are sure to put a smile on your face.
Rich and Moist Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
I have spent all of two weekends with Erin (of Erin’s Food Files) in my whole life, but I can honestly tell you she is one of my soul sisters. Or better yet, my Sister from another Mister. Through emails, twitter, blogging and facebook, Erin and I became friends before we actually ever met face to face.
Meeting people that you click with online in person can be awkward. Usually it takes a little while to warm up to each other, but with Erin it was really like seeing an old friend. So when she texted me, while I was in Puerto Rico on vacation, that she was pregnant, I was ecstatic! I immediately had a huge smile plastered on my face and it was only partially due to the piña colada in my hand. Erin and her fun loving husband Nathan are the cutest couple and are surely going to make an adorable baby.
Since we all live so far apart, a few of us have gotten together and are celebrating Erin and Nathan’s soon to be little bundle of
joy baby toes (that’s not creepy right?? …I can’t help it, I love baby toes). And while we may not be close enough to celebrate with a traditional shower, we can celebrate through food!
And because I know not to show up at a party without some Chocolate for a pregnant lady, I made Devil’s Food Cupcakes. 😉 With their wonderfully dense texture and perfectly domed tops, these rich chocolate cupcakes would be welcomed at any baby shower.
This recipe makes exactly 6 cupcakes…which in my mind means 2 for Mama, 2 for Baby & 2 for Dad! Congratulations again to the parents to be, Erin and Nathan! I cannot wait to baby stalk all your pictures on instagram in a few short weeks!
For the Devils Food Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup double dutch cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons double dutch cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk, as needed
for the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, sour cream, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Fold together the dry and wet ingredients. Mixing until there are no large lumps.
- Spoon batter into prepared tin, filling 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a only a few crumbs clinging to it. Do not over bake!
- Remove from pan immediately and cool on a wire rack. Then frost!
for the frosting
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. On low, mix in the vanilla extract.
- Carefully beat in the cocoa powder, followed by the powdered sugar, about ½ cup at a time. If the buttercream is too thick add 1 teaspoon of cold milk at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Then pipe onto cooled cupcakes with your favorite frosting tip.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 1gSugar: 44gProtein: 3g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.