These sweet and fluffy Strawberry Shortcake Donuts are super easy to make. They’re filled with fresh strawberries and topped with whipped cream and more fresh berries!
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Donuts
Y’all should have seen Jorge’s face when I put this in front of him for breakfast.
It had been an incredibly crappy morning with getting the news that our 10 year old puppy Brody (he will always be a puppy to me) has glaucoma in his good eye. Our little old man just can’t catch a break.
We are thankful to be able to try to manage it with drops for a while, but eventually he will be blind in both eyes and require surgery. So like I said, it was a super crappy morning.
When Jorge walked in, I had these donuts coming out of the hot oil and the house smelled like heaven. I quickly tossed them in sugar and topped them with fresh sweet strawberries and whipped cream. YUM. And of course we gave Brody a donut hole too.
Y’all know how much I love donuts (hello – I wrote a cookbook about them), but this is one of my absolute favorite things to make for weekend breakfast.
I usually just toss them in cinnamon sugar and call it a day, but with all the gorgeous local strawberries around here lately I knew I had to make them into big strawberry shortcakes!
I am so glad I did because they were one of the best donuts I have ever made. The donut is warm and soft and the whip cream sweet and cool…then juice strawberries on top!
These donuts come together super quick since they use canned biscuits! And I know you might think that sounds crazy, but I swear they make awesome donuts and you don’t have to wait for dough to rise.
I have done many recipe tests and the best biscuits to use are the “butter tasting’ homestyle” ones form Pillsbury. I know that the name sounds ridiculous, but they making some delicious donuts one you fry them.
Two things that make these donuts even easier — an attachable thermometer to make sure your oil stays at the perfect temperature and a donut cutter to easily cut out the centers.
Hope you and your family enjoy these as much as my family does. The girls couldn’t stop saying “mmmmmm” as they ate all of the donut holes!
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Donuts
These sweet and fluffy Strawberry Shortcake Donuts are super easy to make. They're filled with fresh strawberries and topped with whipped cream and more fresh berries!
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 (16.3 oz) can Pillsbury Butter Tastin’ Homestyle Rolls
- 1 quart oil, for frying (vegetable or peanut oil work great)
- whipped cream
- In a medium bowl, toss together sliced strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside. Line a plate with paper towels for draining donuts. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large deep pot to 350°F.
- Using a 1 1/2 inch biscuit/cookie cutter, cut out the center of each biscuit. Fry each donut until golden brown and then flip and fry the other side – about 1.5 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Drain donuts on paper towels for 30 seconds and then toss in the remaining sugar.
- Let donuts cool for 5 minutes (they will still be warm, but not too hot) and top with whipped cream and strawberries. Serve immediately!
Makes 8 donuts and 8 donut holes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1091Total Fat: 114gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 101gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.