These dark chocolate and espresso cupcakes are moist and perfectly paired with an espresso buttercream swirled on top.
When it came time for my friend’s birthday I was contemplating cupcake flavors. And when I couldn’t decided…I ended up picking three. One being Vanilla for any unadventurous losers. One was a fun, spicy flavor that I will be posting later this week. And the last cupcake flavor were these delicious Espresso Chocolate Cupcakes with Espresso Buttercream.
I think between the friends, the champagne, the tiara (because every girl should wear a tiara), and the cupcakes she enjoyed her birthday! I was really glad that I made extra cupcakes because people asked the restaurant for to go boxes to take the leftovers home with them! So these must have been a winner! I know Jorge loved them since he ate 4 of them in 24 hours!
Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup self rising flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 oz bittersweet dark chocolate, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a cupcake baking pan with paper liners. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, instant espresso and salt, set aside.
- Cream together the butter, brown sugar, and melted chocolate in your stand mixer, until well combined.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Then add flour mixture, alternating with milk, until you have a smooth batter.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full with batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pan, then transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Coffee Buttercream: In a small bowl, whisk together water and espresso powder. Set aside.
- Beat butter on medium high, for 3 minutes. Slowly add in 3 cups powdered sugar, about a half a cup at a time. Once it is fully incorporated, carefully add the vanilla extract and espresso powder/water mixture.
- At this point check the consistency of the buttercream. You should be able to lift the beaters and have the buttercream hold its shape. If it is too loose, add more powdered sugar, again 1/2 cup at a time.
- Pipe onto the top of cooled cupcakes as desired! Cupcakes can be stored on counter at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 263mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 37gProtein: 2g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.