Chewy, sweet and decadent, these French Toast Cookie Bars have a maple sugar cookie base topped with vanilla cream cheese frosting and a layer of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal! They truly embody French toast in cookie form.
Easy French Toast Cookie Bars
We just had family here visiting from my home state of Texas and I figured it was the perfect time to experiment with a new recipe idea I had — these French Toast Cookie Bars.
I’ve been thinking of these for weeks and finally had a good excuse to make them!
I seriously didn’t need a giant 9×13 pan filled with thick French Toast Cookie Bars staring at me night and day.
I started with a big thick layer of a maple cinnamon sugar cookie.
It’s chewy and the edges are slightly crispy. It’s full of flavor and easy to whip up since it uses melted butter.
Then I slathered on a nice thick layer of cream cheese frosting.
I considered adding cinnamon to the frosting as well, but with cinnamon in the cookie and cereal on top, I think it was best to keep the cream cheese frosting pure.
I do half cream cheese and half butter to keep the frosting light and perfectly flavored. It’s not too heavy, just delicious creamy vanilla cream cheese frosting!
Lastly, I topped the cream cheese bars with a think layer of Cinnamon Toast Crunch — one of my all time favorite cereals ever.
And that is saying a lot considering I wrote a whole cookbook about cereal desserts!
I hope you like these French Toast Cookie Bars as much as we all did!
We shared some of them with our neighbors as well and they all raved over them.
Store them in the fridge if not serving fresh and let them warm up for about 30 minutes before serving for the best texture!
For the Cookie Bars
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
For the Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour (or line with parchment paper) a 13x9-inch pan, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, and maple syrup. Add in eggs, vanilla extract and maple extract, whisk until smooth.
- Add in flour mixture and beat until well combined. Press batter evenly into prepared 13x9-inch pan using a rubber spatula or your hands.
- Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. The center will still be soft, but will harden as it cools. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- While the cookie is cooling, make frosting. With an electric beater or stand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract, beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Spread frosting on top of cookie in an even layer. Top frosting layer with cereal and serve.
*Use a spoon to fill your measuring cup with flour until the required amount is obtained. Scooping your measuring cup directly into the flour bag will firmly pack in the flour, resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 152mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 1gSugar: 49gProtein: 4g
Similar recipes you will also like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.