Lemon and Rosemary Shortbread. It’s like a Tiger Woods cookie….a little bit of everything. They have sugar and flour and loads of butter. They also have lemon zest, lemon juice, fresh rosemary, and a little splash of almond extract. And most importantly, they don’t need any resting time. Which in the world of Shortbread, is amazing. I hate waiting for cookie dough to rest, it’s almost completely impossible.
While Jorge thought these cookies were “Different”, I thought they were A-Freaking-Mazing. I am a huge fan of shortbread cookies to begin with, but the combination of flavors was perfect. I liked that they were sweet and had the tiniest touch of savory. I halved the recipe and it still made enough to bring as a snack for my road trip tomorrow to Atlanta! Score! 🙂
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- zest of 1 large lemon, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- additional flour to knead
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, almond extract, and rosemary. On medium-low speed, mix in flour until just incorporated.
- Flour a work surface. Transfer dough—it will be very soft—to work surface and knead for about 5 minutes, adding up to 1 cup of flour —a little at a time— to create a soft dough that stays together.
- Pat dough out into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle. Cut it into desired shapes. Space cookies at least 1 inch apart on a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden but not browned. Transfer cookies to racks to cool. Store in airtight container.
Recipe Note: I used a 2 inch biscuit cutter for my cookies.
Adapted from: From Molly Herfmann of Tastebud Tart Catering
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.