I have a love/hate relationship with early flights. I HATE having to get up at 4 am, but I love getting to my destination before noon. Last week when I was flying home from NYC, I had one of those dreaded early morning flights. I took off from La Guardia airport at 7:10am. That meant that I left my hotel in Manhattan at 5:15am to catch a cab. It was the strangest thing driving through Times Square at that time of the morning. It was completely deserted — like some kind of technicolor ghost town.
After a terrifying cab ride to the airport, with a cabbie who thought his horn was the same as using his brakes, I needed coffee and food. I stopped in some strange little cafe/bakery and ordered a bagel and an espresso. I never looked at my order, but instead ran off to find my flight. I was in the first boarding group, so I jumped in line to get my seat. I figured my wheat bagel with strawberry cream cheese wouldn’t smell up the plane.
I unwrapped my bagel to find some kind of warm jalapeño croissant that had been slathered with regular cream cheese instead. It instantly stunk up the plane, but I was so hungry that I just took a giant bite anyways. Yes — I was the jerk who made the whole plane smell like jalapeños! After that first bite, I instantly ate another big bite and another and another. I swear it was gone before I even realized what happened!
I spent take off and landing (you know, the time frame when they won’t let you use your iphone or kindle) trying to figure out how I could best recreate it. I have made croissants before, but all that time and folding and waiting is a big pain in the butt. I just don’t have that kind of patience anymore these days. So then I thought about warm buttery crescent rolls that come from a can. 😉
The flavorful jalapeños (not spicy if you remove the seeds!) and melted cream cheese are divine when wrapped in flaky warm crescent rolls! I think they would be the perfect addition to any brunch table or great if made smaller as appetizers. While the combination may sound strange, if you are a cream cheese & jalapeño fan, I promise you will love these! I feel guilty sharing this “recipe”, but while it might be incredibly simple the flavors are awesome.
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and sliced in small long slices
- 1 can (8 oz) crescent rolls (I buy the Pillsbury Original)
- 4 oz cream cheese, sliced in small rectangles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Separate dough into 8 triangles. Place 2 slices of jalapeno in each triangle. Then place 1 strip of cream cheese on top of the jalapeno.
- Roll up each crescent, ending at tip of triangle. Place with tips down on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake according to directions or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet and serve immediately. (These are only good fresh out of the oven – while they are still warm.)
recipe note: for the pretty factor, place a slice of jalapeno on top of each crescent roll before baking for color/decoration.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 61Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.