Jorge and I played hooky and took Ellie and Lyla to the aquarium. We were in and out in 40 minutes because the girls RAN through the entire thing and had zero interest in pretty fish or sharks.
So pro tip – don’t take your 20 month old twins to an aquarium expecting a nice luxurious stroll looking at pretty fish. Ain’t gonna happen. No way.
We wound up right back at home where we started — except $50 poorer — and had some friends over for a big play date in the backyard.
We had a billion bubbles going, our new slide (that the girls LOVE) and these Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bars. It might not have been our plan, but it turned out to be a pretty great afternoon anyways.
These Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bars start off with a thick layer of my favorite peanut butter cookies. Then a big giant layer of eggless cookie dough. And it’s all topped off with a gorgeous chocolate ganache.
Seriously, these bars are outrageous in the best kind of way. If you are the kind of person that finds yourself eating half of the cookie dough out of the bowl while making cookies, these are absolutely made for you!
- Peanut Butter Cookie Layer
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cookie Dough Layer
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Chocolate Glaze
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 teaspoons corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Peanut Butter Cookie Layer: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the peanut butter, butter and both sugars, until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture on low speed. Stir until dough forms. Press dough into an even layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the edges are browned, and remove from oven. Let cool completely.
- Cookie Dough Layer: In a large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, milk, flour and salt until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Smooth into an even layer on top of the cooled peanut butter cookie layer.
- Chocolate Glaze: In a small sauce pan, combine butter, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla extract and heat over medium heat until butter is melted. Decrease the heat to low, add the chocolate, and whisk until chocolate melts.
- Remove from heat, add the powdered sugar, and whisk until smooth. Let chocolate glaze sit for 5 minutes until it has cooled slightly and started to thicken just a little bit. Then slowly pour on top in an even layer.
- Let bars cool in the fridge for 1 hour before serving. Slice and serve cool or let come to room temperature (I prefer them at room temperature).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 293mgCarbohydrates: 79gFiber: 2gSugar: 53gProtein: 6g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.