February is Heart Health Month and today, February 3rd, is National Wear Red Day to increase heart health awareness.
With heart disease in my family, I am very happy to help support the cause and bring you a new heart healthy recipe for this Pear, Blue Cheese & Walnut Flatbread in partnership with Fisher Nuts.
Fisher Nuts currently has nine varieties of American Heart Association certified Fisher nuts: Pecan Halves, Pecan Chips, Chopped Pecans, Walnut Halves & Pieces, Walnut Chips, Chopped Walnuts, Whole Natural Almonds, Sliced Almonds, and Slivered Almonds.
Nuts have so many heart healthy fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals for our bodies and there are so many ways various ways we can enjoy them. A handful as a snack, in a trail mix, in salads, as a gluten free crust on meats and SO many more ways.
I wanted to use walnuts in my recipe, as they are one of my favorite nuts and I feel they are often overlooked. I made a flatbread with naan as the crust. Naan is great for a flatbread and is considerably lower in calories than a true thick pizza dough, but still gives you that carb-y satisfaction.
You brush the naan with olive oil and top it with mozzarella, fresh juicy pairs, blue cheese and walnuts. A quick 10 minutes in the oven and then you are adding peppery arugula and drizzling on a homemade walnut and blue cheese sauce.
Fisher nuts are preservative free and non-GMO Project Verified. And better yet, I love the nice resealable bag to keep them fresh in between uses.
Since most of my recipes do not use a full bag, it helps keep the nuts fresh for longer, which I really love.
This Pear, Blue Cheese and Walnut Flatbread is easy and fast to whip up. It’s ready to eat in just 20 minutes — you can’t beat that.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do, the double use of walnuts and blue cheese really sets this one over the top!
RECIPE NOTE: The below recipe makes two flatbreads. This would serve 2 people as an entree or 4-6 people as an appetizer.
- 2 naan flatbreads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pear, diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup Fisher Walnuts Halves & Pieces
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Walnut & Blue Cheese Sauce
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/3 cup Fisher Walnuts Halves & Pieces
- 2 oz blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lay naan flat on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil. Top with mozzarella, pear, blue cheese and walnuts. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the edges are starting to lightly brown.
- While flatbread is baking: In a small pan, sauté onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, combine sautéed onions, remaining 1/3 cup olive oil, walnuts, blue cheese, honey, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. Set aside. (If your sauce is a little too thick, you can add a couple of tablespoons of water to thin it out.)
- Once flatbread is finished baking, remove from oven and top with arugula. Drizzle on the walnut and blue cheese sauce. Serve immediately!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2436Total Fat: 144gSaturated Fat: 43gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 94gCholesterol: 142mgSodium: 4509mgCarbohydrates: 217gFiber: 18gSugar: 52gProtein: 81g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.