Halloween is one of those rare times I miss being a kid. I’m not one of those people who really miss their childhood or things from being a kid. I had a great childhood, but being an adult is everything I knew it would be. However, I do miss Halloween.
Halloween as an adult is just not the same as when you are a kid. Sure, there are adult Halloween parties…but I don’t feel like dressing up like a sexy nurse, or a sexy cat or a sexy anything. I want to dress up as Katniss from Hunger Games and walk around getting free candy…but apparently at my age that would be creepy. I would also like to binge eat all of that Halloween candy I collected and not see it sticking itself to my ass. Ah, youth.
Since I won’t be doing any trick or treating, I figured I would make my own treats! This cupcake is based off the Pumpkin Dream Cake. I get SO many emails/comments of people asking questions about making them into cupcakes. I always had to guess the answer or go off of what someone else has told me — and I really hate doing that.
I divided the cake recipe down to a third of what it is originally and halved the frosting. This made exactly 10 perfect cupcakes! I did change the flavor a little by adding maple flavor to the pumpkin cake and I like the twist it gives these cupcakes. And lastly, I did not put them in the freezer like I do the dream cake. With the cake, I always worry about it over baking and I hate how long a cake takes to cool….but I didn’t do it with the cupcakes and they still turned out great.
Hope you enjoy these as much as we did! And if you have any Halloween candy you don’t want your kids to have — I know someone who will take it off your hands. 😉
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon imitation maple syrup extract
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- for the cinnamon cream cheese frosting:
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- cinnamon sugar, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl/stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in vanilla, maple, pumpkin and vegetable oil. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk.
- Divide batter among cupcake tins, filling 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
- For the frosting: In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in vanilla and cinnamon. Add confectioners' sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high until frosting is smooth.
- Pipe onto cupcakes with your favorite tip and serve! Optional: for decoration, I sprinkled the tops with cinnamons sugar.
recipe note: I used imitation maple syrup extract because the flavor is 20X the flavor in a teaspoon of maple syrup. Yes you can use Pure Maple Syrup instead, however it won't add any maple flavor in the end product.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 490Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 194mgCarbohydrates: 77gFiber: 2gSugar: 63gProtein: 4g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.