Stuffed Acorn Squash is full of rice, cranberries, pecans, and more. Enjoy this vegetarian recipe as a healthy dinner, lunch, or easy side dish!
With Fall being everywhere lately, I have been craving the comfort foods of Thanksgiving. But with it being over a month away, I needed to figure out a way to have those flavors now without making a full Thanksgiving dinner in October. Not that I am against Thanksgiving in October…but Jorge might look at me like I’m a little crazy if I sit down with a whole Turkey for just the two of us.
After thinking about it for a little while, I decided that I would make something that I can’t make on Thanksgiving…Acorn Squash. My Dad is a traditionalist, and while he finally handed over the reigns of the turkey a few years ago — I know he wouldn’t be down with Stuffed Acorn Squash on the table. ;-)
I used RiceSelect’s Royal Blend® with Brown, Red & Wild Rice as the stuffing base. I like the many different nutty textures the mixture of rice give the stuffing. I love the line of Royal Blend products because they add flavors from around the world into my everyday rice dishes…and turn dinner into a destination. Heck, it’s even in their slogan: “Bringing Worlds of Flavor to your Table”!
While each of the Royal Blend flavors is nutritious and delicious on its own, they can be easily moved to the center of the plate with the addition of chicken, beef, pork, seafood or seasonal fresh vegetables. It doesn’t hurt that they are easy to prepare, all-natural, colorful and great tasting.
I liked using the Royal Blend Brown, Red & Wild Rice because it is an all-natural blend of four rices: Texmati® White, pre-cooked brown, wild and red rice. It only takes 15 minutes to cook and is a perfect base for stuffings or salads. To purchase, use the RiceSelect store locator or buy online at Amazon.com, as product availability may be limited.
- 1 acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 cup Rice Select Royal Blend, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven to 450°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Place the squash cut-side up on a baking sheet, brush with melted butter (over the tops and insides of the squash halves) and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until just fork tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- In medium size skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté shallot until slightly tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, mixing well and heating through. Remove from heat.
- Divide the rice filling among the roasted squash halves and serve immediately.
inspired by Chow.com
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 405Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 374mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 8gSugar: 17gProtein: 5g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.