This Creamy Pumpkin Soup recipe is made with coconut milk and spices to create a warming & comforting meal with some fantastic Fall flavors! It’s vegan too! This easy squash soup can be served for lunch, at dinner, or even as an appetizer.
Table of Contents
This Creamy Pumpkin Soup is Perfect for Fall
Creamy Pumpkin Soup is 100% everything a fall meal should be: warm, filling, and rich with hearty pumpkin flavor. If you’re a fan of butternut squash soup, this pumpkin bisque has got your name all over it.
If you’re not a huge soup fan, there’s still time to change your ways before the cold weather sets in. Paired with toasted baguette slices, or a toasty grilled cheese, this easy pumpkin soup with a hint of spice is hard to resist!
Is this a Vegan Pumpkin Soup?
Yes! This flavorful soup is vegan thanks to using coconut milk to add creaminess. But you can also use or add regular cream in addition to the coconut milk if you would like!
Here’s what you’ll need for this simple pumpkin soup:
- Olive Oil
- Onion: You’ll want to make sure it’s finely diced.
- Garlic Clove
- Pumpkin Puree
- Coconut Milk: This adds creaminess and depth of flavor to your soup. However, you can also use regular heavy cream in it’s place!
- Vegetable Stock
- Spices: Curry Powder, Smoked Paprika, Garam Masala, Cayenne Pepper
- Salt & Black Pepper
Can I swap the pumpkin for…. Sweet Potato? Butternut Squash?
Absolutely! Both work great in this recipe and I do it often! Any fall squash will work wonderfully in this Pumpkin Soup and can be swapped with zero changes to the rest of the recipe.
You will just need to ensure you cook the squash/sweet potatoes until extra soft. If using butternut squash or sweet potatoes, I usually dice them and roast them before adding them to the soup for best flavor. However, you can also boil or steam them.
How to Make Pumpkin Soup
Heat and Sauté: In a large stock pot over medium heat, add olive oil and onion to the skillet and cook till softened, about 5 minutes. Once translucent, stir in garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
Simmer Soup: Add remaining ingredients, including the pumpkin, and bring to a simmer. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. You can also carefully transfer soup to a blender in batches and puree until smooth.
Season: Continue simmering over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, to taste.
Serve: Serve warm with fresh cilantro on top and a drizzle of coconut milk or heavy cream, as desired.
Tips for the Best Pumpkin Soup
Take a look at these tips for the best pumpkin soup:
- Add Some Cream: Swirling some cream over the top of the soup adds another level of flavor! You can use heavy cream on top or coconut cream to keep it vegan!
- Top Soup with Crumbled Bacon: Bacon adds some texture and an irresistible saltiness to this easy soup.
- Use Canned Pumpkin Puree: Because it is so smooth you may even be able to skip the blender portion, depending on how you like the texture of the soup.
How to Store and Reheat Homemade Soup
Once the soup has cooled, store it in an airtight container in the fridge; it should keep for 3-4 days.
To reheat this pumpkin soup, microwave it for a minute or two in a microwave-safe bowl. You can also let it simmer on low on the stove for about 10 minutes, or until it reaches the desired temperature.
Can You Freeze Pumpkin Soup?
Yes! Let the soup cool completely, and then fill freezer ziplock bags with serving-size portions and lay them flat to freeze (saves space!).
To thaw: Thaw for 2 days in refrigerator or reheat from frozen on the stovetop or in microwave.
Running some hot water over the top of the frozen soup will help loosen the edges from the sides of the ziplock if it hasn’t thawed all the way through when you want to eat it again.
This Creamy Pumpkin Soup recipe is incredibly easy to make and ready in just about 20 minutes. It is one of my favorite Fall soup recipes that no one knows is both vegan and gluten free!
It’s delicious on it’s own, or extra hearty if served with a salad or grilled cheese. It’s also a great recipe to prep ahead for easy lunches during the week!
Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (15 oz) cans pumpkin puree
- 1 (13 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- chopped fresh cilantro
- coconut milk or heavy cream
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, add olive oil and onion to the skillet and cook till softened, about 5 minutes. Once translucent, stir in garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients, including the pumpkin, and bring to a simmer. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. You can also carefully transfer soup to a blender in batches and puree until smooth.
- Continue simmering over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, to taste.
- Serve warm with fresh cilantro on top and a drizzle of coconut milk or heavy cream, as desired.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.