Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe (15 minutes!)
This easy Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe is made stove top, with just one pot, and only takes 15 minutes to make! It’s extra creamy and made with two cheeses!
An Easy Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe
This incredible Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe seriously only takes 15 minutes to make and uses just one pot.
It’s made with all regular, real ingredients. You can change up the cheese to fit your mood (or what’s in your fridge) and add in your favorite fancy mix-ins.
I also love creating an epic southern dinner by topping this homemade mac and cheese recipe with my slow cooker pulled pork!
It’s a dream come true for any of you fellow Mac and Cheese lovers out there — just wait till you try this recipe!
Why Make Mac and Cheese from Scratch?
If you have read this far, I know you already understand the importance of a good homemade mac and cheese recipe.
But if you are waffling on taking the time on making your own homemade mac and cheese versus a box, let me break it down.
- It takes about the same amount of time! Just 15 minutes for homemade.
- This Homemade Mac and Cheese recipe uses all real cheese unlike store bought mixes.
- FLAVOR. This Mac and Cheese is loaded with flavor. Just wait till you try that first bite!
Homemade Mac and Cheese Ingredients
I like to use classic elbow noodles, however you can switch it up to whatever noodle you have on hand.
We also use two types of cheddar cheeses to give it the best flavor: sharp cheddar cheese and white cheddar cheese.
I personally recommend Cabot block cheeses, because they have such great flavor and make an epic homemade mac and cheese!
However, a couple of ingredients may surprise you! Like the little bit of raw garlic mixed in to give it a surprising little bite.
I know the raw garlic is a little unusual, however I promise it doesn’t taste like raw garlic. It does add to the overall flavor.
Lastly, to keep this homemade mac and cheese super creamy and perfectly textured, we use a little sour cream and cream cheese.
Why should I shred my own cheese?
I recommend using blocks of cheese that you shred yourself. I know, I know, but it makes a big difference.
Pre-shredded cheese has starch on it to keep it from clumping and is dryer than actual blocks of whole cheese.
If you do end up using pre-shredded cheese in this Mac and Cheese recipe, you will probably need to add a little milk.
The added starch from pre-shredded cheese will thicken the recipe more than you want, so you will need something else to loosen it again.
This recipe for Homemade Mac and Cheese is as delicious as it is easy. There is so much flavor and cheese-y goodness in each bite!
Plus, no one would guess that you made it in just 15 minutes with one single pot!
When you try this recipe, make sure and come back and share below on how this homemade mac and cheese recipe turned out for you!
*This recipe was originally published in May 2012, but has been updated with new photos. The recipe is the same!*
- 2 cups elbow noodles (about 12 oz)
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, chopped
- 1 oz cream cheese, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over high heat, bring salted water to a boil. Add elbow noodles; cook according to package.
- Drain noodles, lower heat to medium-low, and return cooked noodles to pot.
- Immediately stir in both shredded cheeses, sour cream, butter, cream cheese, garlic, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Continue stirring until completely melted and serve immediately!
For a more yellow, traditional mac and cheese, use a combination of sharp cheedar and mild cheddar cheeses.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 535Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 695mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 25g