Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe (15 minutes!)
This easy, one-pot Homemade Mac and Cheese recipe only takes 15 minutes to make. It is full of flavor, extra creamy and made with two types of cheese!
An Easy Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe
This incredible Mac and Cheese recipe seriously only takes 15 minutes to make and uses just one pot. It’s just a little more work than a boxed mix, but the flavor is 100x better. It’s made with all regular, real ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
I use a mixture of sharp cheddar cheese and white cheddar cheese, however this recipe is easily adapted to use whatever meltable cheese is in your fridge. You can also add in your favorite fancy mix-ins, for an elevated dinner!
It’s a dream come true for any of you fellow Mac and Cheese lovers out there — just wait till you try this recipe! I bet you won’t have any leftovers. 😉
Why Make Mac and Cheese from Scratch?
If you have read this far, I know you already understand the importance of a good homemade mac and cheese recipe.
But if you are waffling on making your own homemade mac and cheese versus a box, let me break it down.
- It takes about the same amount of time! Just 15 minutes for this mac and cheese recipe.
- This recipe uses all real cheese, unlike store bought mixes.
- FLAVOR. This Mac and Cheese is loaded with flavor. Just wait till you try that first bite!
Homemade Mac and Cheese Ingredients
I like to use classic elbow noodles, however you can switch it up to whatever noodle you have on hand. The rest of the ingredients are below:
What type of cheese should I use?
I recommend using two types of cheddar cheeses to give it the best flavor: sharp cheddar cheese and white cheddar cheese. I personally recommend Cabot block cheeses, because they have such great flavor and make an epic homemade mac and cheese! Other yummy cheese ideas:
- Mild Cheddar or Sharp Cheddar
- White Cheddar
- Monterrey Jack or Pepper Jack
- Gouda or Smoked Gouda
Why should I shred my own cheese?
I recommend using blocks of cheese that you shred yourself. I know, I know, but it makes a big difference. Pre-shredded cheese has starch on it to keep it from clumping and is dryer than actual blocks of whole cheese.
If you do end up using pre-shredded cheese in this Mac and Cheese recipe, you may need to add a little splash of whole milk. The added starch from pre-shredded cheese will thicken the recipe, so you may need something else to loosen it again. You will know at the end if you want to add a little milk to yours or not!
Ingredients that might surprise you:
- Raw Garlic: However, a couple of ingredients may surprise you! Like the little bit of raw garlic mixed in to give it a surprising little bite. I know the raw garlic is a little unusual, however I promise it doesn’t taste like raw garlic. It does add a lot to the overall flavor!
- Ground Mustard: An optional addition, but most of the mac and cheese you have eaten have just a little ground mustard added. Just like the garlic, the final recipe doesn’t taste mustard-y, this just helps to round out the flavor of the cheese.
- Cream Cheese and Sour Cream: Because we are using real cheese, a little cream cheese and sour cream help to smooth out the melted cheese. You know, smooth like velveeta, but actual real cheese.
How to make mac and cheese in 3 easy steps
- Boil pasta and drain! Return cooked pasta to the pot and place back on the stove over low heat.
- Immediately stir in all remaining ingredients and continue stirring until completely melted.
- Immediately dive in and try not to say MMM out loud!
Want to make it fancy?
If were are feeling crazy, sometimes we elevate our mac and cheese to a decadent dinner with some fun additions. Below are some of my favorite mix-ins or toppings:
- crispy bacon bits
- green onions
- caramelized onions
- Garlic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- cooked chicken
I also love creating an epic southern dinner by topping this homemade mac and cheese recipe with my slow cooker pulled pork!
This recipe for Homemade Mac and Cheese is as delicious as it is easy. There is so much flavor and cheese-y goodness in each bite! Plus, no one would guess that you made it in just 15 minutes with one single pot!
When you try this recipe, make sure and come back and leave a review or comment on how this recipe turned out for you!
- 2 cups elbow noodles (about 12 oz)
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, chopped
- 1 oz cream cheese, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard, optional
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over high heat, bring salted water to a boil. Add elbow noodles; cook according to package.
- Drain noodles, lower heat to medium-low, and return cooked noodles to pot.
- Immediately stir in both shredded cheeses, sour cream, butter, cream cheese, garlic, ground mustard (optional) salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Continue stirring until completely melted and serve immediately!
For a more yellow, traditional mac and cheese, use a combination of sharp cheedar and mild cheddar cheeses!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 large servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 536Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 695mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 25g