The Best Creamed Spinach
The Best Creamed Spinach: my favorite steakhouse style, extra creamy, creamed spinach takes only 15 minutes to make and is a tried and true family favorite!
This truly is The Best Creamed Spinach, ever. Seriously.
It’s a recipe I have been making for many years and have never thought to share. I’m not sure why I haven’t, aren’t we all always looking for amazing new side dish recipes??
I have recently been on a creamed spinach kick, so I have made it for our neighbors and our out of state family that recently visited. Every time I made it, kids and adults were going back for seconds (sometimes thirds!) and asking for the recipe.
As I was typing it up to send over to another person, I realized that maybe I should share this well loved recipe on my recipe website. Sometimes I can be pretty dense.
I have searched far and wide for the best creamed spinach recipe for many years. I tried fresh spinach. I tried where you make a gravy with butter and flour. I tried just heavy cream and parmesan cheese.
It was all ok, not great. I wanted it to be super creamy with tons of flavor, but everything I tried came up short on both.
Then one night I winged it with what I had in my fridge. A little of this, a little of that. And what we got was the BEST CREAMED SPINACH EVER. I wrote the recipe down and I have been making it the same way every since.
This creamed spinach is extra creamy, full of flavor, and only takes 15 minutes to make. It is exactly like the creamed spinach you get at an old school fancy steak house.
If you have any leftovers, they reheat great. You can also freeze them with equally great results! Oh, and you can make a big batch and keep it hot in a crock pot on the warm setting for a party.
The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe
- 3 (10 oz) bags frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook spinach in microwave according to package directions. Remove excess water (squeeze carefully using cheese cloth, a tea towel, or a colander) and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt butter. Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add cream cheese and cook, stirring, until melted.
- Add heavy cream and cook for 2 minutes. Add mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Stir till combined.
- Fold in spinach into cream sauce and cook for an additional minute to reheat spinach.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. The leftovers reheat great and you can also freeze it!