This extra creamy and cheesy Hot Spinach Dip is a baked dip that everyone needs to try! This creamy dip tastes great on crackers, veggies, pretzels… you name it. It even has bacon bits and a layer of melted cheese on top – what more can you ask of an appetizer?
An Easy and Creamy Spinach Dip
I love whipping up a batch of this spinach dip recipe whenever we have friends over. It’s always been a hit at get-togethers, potlucks and Super Bowl parties, but I even make it as an everyday snack sometimes. It’s crazy how fast it disappears!
Classic cold and creamy spinach dip is great, but this hot version is SO much better. With the addition of bacon bits, cheddar cheese, and mozzarella, this spinach dip becomes ten times better.
Whether you’re using crackers, veggies, or tortilla chips, I promise you this oven-baked dip will be gone before you know it!
If you love cheese and spinach dishes, make sure and also check out my favorite Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Shells recipes. We made this last weekend again and had zero leftovers!
Before you preheat the oven, grab these 9 ingredients:
- Cream Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Frozen Spinach: thawed and drained
- Yellow Onion
- Bacon: make it fried, crispy and crumbled! 🙂
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Ground Pepper
For the best overall flavor, I recommend making sure you use full-fat diary products. So full-fat sour cream, cream cheese and both shredded cheeses. If you use any of the light versions, this recipe will still work, it will just not have the same creamy mouth feel.
Can I add artichokes?
Are you looking for an amazingly creamy and cheese spinach artichoke dip? Look no further! Use this recipe and add some artichokes! Just add 1 cup chopped artichokes and this recipe transforms into a great spinach and artichoke dip!
Can I use fresh spinach instead?
If you want to use fresh spinach instead of frozen, cook down the spinach on your stovetop until wilted and then use one pound of it. Make sure you drain out any excess liquid!
How to Make Spinach Dip
Preheat: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 8X8 inch baking dish, set aside.
Mix: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sour cream with an electric mixer until smooth.
Stir: Add the spinach, onion, bacon, salt, pepper, cheddar cheese and half of the mozzarella cheese and stir to combine.
Build: Transfer the dip to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top.
Bake: Bake for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly and beginning to brown on top
Serve: Let Spinach Dip cool for 5 minutes and then serve with crackers, toast or vegetables!
Tips for the Best Spinach Dip
- How to Thaw Spinach: place spinach in a microwave-safe bowl or plate and microwave for about 3 to 4 minutes or until it is soft. After that, you can remove the excess moisture by pressing it in a kitchen towel, cheese cloth or with a mesh strainer.
- Full Fat: Use full fat dairy products, not light or fat free. This dip is delicious because it is decadent and cheesy. If you use low fat products instead, the final flavor and feel of the dip will be lacking.
- Other Add-Ins: throw in 1/2 a cup or so of sun-dried tomatoes or a cup of chopped artichoke hearts to bring even more great flavor to the dip!
How to Serve Spinach Dip
Spinach dip is served so many different ways. One of the classic ways is in a bread bowl, but with this recipe you’ll probably want to leave it in the pan. Try spreading it on lightly toasted baguette slices to make Crostini!
I recommend any of the following for dipping:
- Bread cubes
- Veggies (carrots, celery, broccoli, etc.)
If you have leftover dip, it also makes a wonderful spread on tortilla wraps and sandwiches or stuffed inside chicken breasts and baked!
Can this Dip be Made in Advance?
You can prepare and refrigerate this dip a couple of hours before you plan to serve it. Hold off on baking it until about 30 minutes before you’re ready to eat, though, because it is best served warm from the oven.
Spinach dip can definitely be stored in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days.
Upgrade any party spread with the addition of this creamy Hot Spinach Dip. It will disappear in minutes, with everyone taking seconds and thirds!
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package (10 oz.) chopped frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 6 slices of bacon, fried crispy and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 8X8 inch baking dish, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sour cream with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the spinach, onion, bacon, salt, pepper, cheddar cheese and half of the mozzarella cheese and stir to combine.
- Transfer the dip to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly and beginning to brown on top
- Let Spinach Dip cool for 5 minutes and then serve with crackers, toast or vegetables.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 835mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.