The best kind of baked sweet potato! This Pulled Pork Sweet Potato recipe is an easy main or side dish featuring caramelized baked sweet potato stuffed with saucy, BBQ pulled pork.
Easy Pulled Pork Sweet Potato Recipe
Growing up I would see people at Jason’s Deli ordering those big baked potatoes stuffed with things like chili and I was not a fan. But then I attended a wedding that offered BBQ chicken stuffed potatoes….and slowly began falling in love with the idea.
And it turns out stuffed sweet potatoes are just as good, if not better.
These pulled pork sweet potatoes feature baked sweet potatoes topped with BBQ pulled pork and they’re so good!
These are a great way to use up leftover pulled pork. Below I have the recipe for how to make pulled pork in your slow cooker, but that doesn’t mean you have to make it my way. Sure, my ways the best…but I’m sure your way is good too. ;-)
What You’ll Need
One of the reasons I love this recipe is that fact it’s requires just a handful of ingredients.
- Pork loin – Pork loin is my go-to for pulled pork, as it cooks down to ultra tender and juicy.
- Spices – Chili powder and garlic salt add flavor to the pork.
- Coca cola – Adds moisture and flavor to the pork.
- BBQ sauce – I prefer Sweet Baby Ray’s Original BBQ sauce but feel free to use your favorite.
- Sweet potatoes – This would likely be good on regular potatoes too!
How to Make a Pulled Pork Sweet Potato
This pulled pork sweet potato recipe requires minimal hands-on effort, as the slow cooker and oven do almost all the work.
- Cook the pork. Season the pork loin then add to the crock pot with the soda. Add just enough to cover the pork loin. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Bake the sweet potatoes. Scrub the sweet potatoes then wrap in foil. Bake for 1 hour.
- Shred the pork. Remove the pork from the slow cooker, drain all but a tablespoon of the coke mixture, and return the pork. Shred with two forks then add the BBQ sauce. Combine and leave on warm until you’re ready to serve.
- Assemble the sweet potato. Cut a slit in the sweet potato, lengthwise. Fill each sweet potato with pulled pork and drizzle with extra BBQ sauce if desired. Enjoy!
More Pulled Pork Recipes
Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potato
- 2 lb pork loin
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 6 cups coca cola, or enough to cover pork
- ¾ to 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s Original BBQ Sauce
- 8 large sweet potatoes
- Season entire pork loin with garlic salt and chili powder. Pour a little coke in the bottom of the crock pot and add the pork butt. Add enough coke to just cover the pork loin. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- While pork is cooking, bake your sweet potatoes: Preheat oven to 400°. Scrub potatoes under water and wrap in foil. Bake in oven for about 1 hour. Sweet Potatoes are fully cooked when you can gently squeeze them and they feel soft. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Remove pork from crock pot and discard almost all of coke mixture…leaving just a tablespoon or two of juice behind to help moisten the pork.
- Place the pork back into the crockpot and then use two large forks to shred the meat. Add BBQ sauce and combine (above it says 3/4 to 1 cup BBQ sauce, which just means add as much, or as little, as you like). Leave slow cooker on low, or warm, to keep things hot until you are ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, cut a a slit in the sweet potato, lengthwise. Grab the potato from both ends and press together to open the sweet potato up. Fill each sweet potato with a generous helping of pulled pork and top with an extra drizzle of BBQ Sauce. Serve immediately!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.