Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
These homemade Strawberry Cupcakes are so fluffy, moist and made from scratch! Frost them with a swirl of sweet, homemade Strawberry Buttercream Frosting and a whole strawberry!
Moist and Fluffy Strawberry Cupcakes
Maybe it’s because I’m a girl mom, but I adore all things pink! Pink makes me happy like sunshine and rainbows. Strawberries – my favorite fruit – also make me smile. So, just imagine how excited I get for a pink strawberry cupcake with strawberry buttercream frosting, layered pink cupcake liners and fresh strawberries on top!
This recipe is perfect for using up fresh ripe strawberries. These cupcakes are so moist, fluffy, and PINK. They bring all the strawberry flavor power with a homemade, from scratch strawberry cake using pureed strawberries and diced strawberries. Then that delicious cake is frosted with a homemade strawberry buttercream frosting! The strawberry lover in your life is really going to love these!
Getting the Strawberry Flavor Just Right
My trick to getting the strawberry flavor in these cupcakes just right is using my own homemade strawberry puree in both the cupcake batter and the frosting AND folding in chopped bits of fresh strawberries.
To make the strawberry puree, I add diced strawberries into a small saucepan and heat them over medium-low heat. Then, I cook the strawberries until they break down and turn into a puree, being sure to stir them often. Depending on how ripe your strawberries are, you may need to use a masher to help break them down.This strawberry flavor bomb goes into both the batter and the frosting, ensuring that not a single bite of these cupcakes isn’t completely infused with real fresh strawberry flavor.
Ingredients for Strawberry Cupcakes
For these super moist cupcakes, you’re looking at all of the usual cake ingredients, plus some fresh strawberries for my homemade strawberry puree.
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- pure vanilla extract
- vegetable or canola oil
How to Make Strawberry Cupcakes
1. Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°F and fill two cupcake pans with cupcake liners. Then, set them aside.
Dry ingredients: Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set this mixture aside.
2. Wet ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until they’re slightly frothy. Gradually add in the sugar beating for about 30 seconds until everything is well combined. Add the oil and vanilla. Beat the mixture until it is smooth.
3. Combine: Gradually add the dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk, until all the ingredients are added and the batter is well combined. This batter will be thin. Fold in 1/2 of the strawberry puree and the diced strawberries.
4. Bake: Divide the batter into the cupcakes liners, filling each until about 3/4 full. Bake the cupcakes for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and frost with strawberry frosting.
Ingredients for Strawberry Frosting
I love to top my strawberry cupcakes with a strawberry buttercream.
Here is everything you’ll need for strawberry buttercream frosting:
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- milk, half-and-half or heavy cream
- homemade strawberry puree
How to Make Strawberry Frosting
1. Mix: Add the butter to a large bowl or mixing bowl for your stand mixer. Beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Gradually add in powdered sugar, alternating with milk, until smooth.
2. Add: Fold in remaining strawberry puree and diced strawberries, beat until well combined. Decorate cupcakes with frosting, and top with fresh strawberries if desired.
Tips for Perfect Strawberry Cupcakes
Follow these simple tips for the perfect bite of strawberry cupcakes every time:
- Make sure you use room temperature eggs. Room temp eggs will better incorporate into the batter and make your cupcakes as moist and fluffy as possible.
- Make sure you beat your eggs until they are frothy. This will also keep the batter, and your cooked cupcakes, light and airy.
- For the most flavor power, add both strawberry puree and diced strawberries to both the frosting and the batter.
- Make sure your cupcakes are completely cooled before you attempt to frost them. You put so much hard work into that frosting, you don’t want it melting!
How to Store Frosted Cupcakes
Storing your already frosted cupcakes can get a little tricky. You don’t want them to tip, squish, or stick together. Store them in an airtight container. The best option is the type that is designed specifically for storing cupcakes. You can keep them in your fridge for 5-7 days. Let them come to room temperature before serving!
- 8 medium strawberries, diced
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup cooking oil, (vegetable or canola)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 medium strawberries, finely diced
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 6-8 cups powdered sugar, depending on consistency wanted
- 4 medium strawberries, finely diced
- 2-4 tablespoons milk, half-and-half or heavy cream, depending on consistency
- Strawberry Puree: Add half diced strawberries into a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until strawberries break down and turn to puree, stirring often. You may need to use a masher depending on how ripe the strawberries are. Divide puree in half and place bowls in refrigerator to chill while you continue with recipe.
- Strawberry Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F and fill two cupcake pans with cupcake liners, set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until lightly frothy. Gradually add sugar beating about 30 seconds until well combined. Add oil and vanilla, beat till smooth.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk, until all ingredients are added and batter is well combined. (Batter will be thin.) Fold in 1/2 of the strawberry puree and diced strawberries.
- Divide into cupcakes liners, 3/4 full. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and frost with strawberry frosting.
- Strawberry Frosting: Add butter to a large bowl or mixing bowl for stand mixer, beat until smooth and creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, alternating with milk, until smooth.
- Fold in remaining strawberry puree and diced strawberries, beat until well combined. Decorate cupcakes with frosting, and top with fresh strawberries if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 cupcakes Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 226mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 1gSugar: 40gProtein: 3g