These deliciously chewy Keto Bagels are soft, flavorful and easy to make for a delicious breakfast. You would never guess these low carb bagels are made with mozzarella cheese, cream cheese and almond flour!
Hi there fellow low carb dieter that is missing all the bread like things! It is me, Jessica, a fellow carb lover and I have been missing my morning bagel more than anything in the world.
I decided it was time I figure out a way to have them again while on my keto diet. Breakfast is by far my HARDEST meal of the day to stay low carb. If I can make it through breakfast, the rest of the day is ok. So between these killer keto bagels and my favorite low carb keto pancakes, I am all set and now you will be too!
It took me a few tries to nail the recipe for these Keto Bagels, but I have it down now! The bagels come out with an amazing bread texture and are chewy like a real bagel. You would never know from taking a bite that they were made with almonds and cheese!
You only need a few ingredients to make these easy Keto Bagels:
- Almond Flour
- Baking Powder
- Garlic Salt
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Cream Cheese
They key to good Low Carb Pancakes is to make sure you have a super fine almond flour, not almond meal. Almond flour is made with blanched almonds that are ground into a super fine flour with a soft texture.
You can see the difference because almond meal has dark brown flakes and almond flour is a solid light beige color. I use Blue Diamond Almond Flour that I buy in store at Costco. Costco has it at a great price and is only 2 grams net carbs for 1/4 of a cup.
Optional Flavor Ideas:
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Dried Onion Flakes
- Garlic Salt
- Herbs (like rosemary!)
I highly recommend trying everything bagel seasoning on top to give these bagels an amazing true flavor. I buy mine from Trader Joes since it’s super cheap in store.
If you do not like everything bagel seasoning, or do not have it, you can use things like rosemary, dried onion flakes, garlic salt and pepper or whatever has a good strong flavor that you like. You can even make them more on the sweet side with cinnamon!
How to make Keto Bagels:
- Whisk the almond flour, baking powder, garlic salt and pepper.
- Melt the mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a microwave, stirring until well incorporated.
- Combine the almond flour mixture with two eggs and the melted cheese mixture.
- Knead the mixture with your hands until a dough forms. The dough will be very sticky and it will take a few minutes for the dough to form, but just keep kneading!
- Divide the dough into 6 parts and form into bagels.
- Sprinkle the tops of the bagels with everything bagel seasoning (or chosen toppings) over the bagels and gently press into the dough.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the bagels are firm and golden.
Watch the video (located below in the recipe card) to see how I form the dough! It’s helpful to see what to expect since it is a little different than the traditional type of dough most of us are used to.
How to serve Keto Bagels:
I have made these Low Carb Everything Bagels for so many people over the holidays and everyone (whether low carb or not) has loved them.
They are best served fresh and warm out of the oven. From the time you start making them to the time you are pulling them fresh and hot out of the oven in just about 17 minutes! So not too bad to make them fresh!
You do not need to toast these bagels, just slice them in half and top with your favorite bagel toppings! While they are a little softer than a toasted bagel, they taste like pure carb-y bagel heaven.
They have all the flavors you expect of a traditional everything bagel, but clock in at just 5 net carbs and are missing all the gluten!
How to store any leftover bagels:
You can wrap the leftovers individually and store them in the fridge. They will not be as fluffy as they are hot out of the oven, but they are still pretty tasty once you slice them and toast them in the toaster to rewarm them up.
I can not wait for you all to try these Keto Bagels! I know you are going to love them!!
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 2 ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- everything bagel seasoning, to taste
- cream cheese, optional topping
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Stir together the almond flour, baking powder, garlic salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a large bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir again at the end until well incorporated. Let the mixture cool just until you can handle touching it (for me that’s about 1 minute).
- Add the flour mixture and two eggs to the melted cheese mixture. Quickly knead with your hands until a dough forms. The dough will be very sticky and it will take a few minutes for the dough to form, but just keep kneading, it will come together as the cheese cools. Watch the video posted above for extra tips and to see what the dough looks like. (If the dough becomes hard before fully mixed, or is too difficult to mix, you can microwave for 15-20 seconds to soften it.)
- Divide the dough into 6 parts. Form a long log with each piece, then press the ends together to make a bagel shape on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning over the bagels and gently press into the dough. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the bagels are firm and golden.
- Serve fresh out of the oven, sliced in half and smeared with cream cheese. You can store leftovers (they are best fresh) in an airtight container on the counter. To reheat, lightly toast in toaster.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.