Instant Pot Turkey and Gravy
Instant Pot Turkey & Gravy: don’t wait for Thanksgiving, make a super moist, one-pot turkey & gravy dinner in your instant pot with only 10 minutes of work!
YOU CAN MAKE TURKEY IN YOUR INSANT POT! Like, Thanksgiving style turkey. In your instant pot. With a FROZEN turkey roast! It’s gloriously easy and so dang delicious.
I had run into Walmart looking for one of those $1 orange jack-o-lantern buckets. I had searched all over and couldn’t find a single one. I also needed a can of pumpkin while I was there to make another batch of my favorite Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins.
While I was hunting down cans of pumpkin, I came across these little frozen “turkey roasts”. I had never seen them before and was intrigued because it said they were all white meat and boneless. I figured I could possibly make an easy dinner out of it and tossed it into my cart.
Fast forward to two weeks ago when I was having a crazy day and realized I had nothing for dinner. I went digging in my freezer and found it buried at the bottom of my fridge.
We have made this Instant Pot Turkey & Gravy many many times now. You throw the frozen turkey into the instant pot, add some veggies, seasonings and chicken broth. This part takes about 5 minutes of work.
The instant pot cooks it for you in a little over an hour (including the time it takes to come to pressure, cook, and then a natural release). During this time you can clean, let your kids run their energy out in the front yard with the other kids, drink a glass of wine and prep some sides to go with it.
Then once it’s all done, you quickly whisk together the gravy using the simmer function on the instant pot. It’s SO easy and all in one big pot! Yay, easy clean up!
For seasoning the bird, I use this herb turkey rub. An herb chicken rub works just as well too! I found my boneless turkey breast at walmart. It was made by Butterball and they had a few flavors, but I choose savory herb all white meat.
If you can not find a boneless “roast” version, you can also try this with a bone in turkey breast. However, I would expect it to take a little longer to cook. I would add 10 minutes to the cook time and double check with a thermometer to ensure it reaches 165 degrees near the bone.
I hope you give this Instant Pot Turkey and Gravy a try, just watch the video above to see how super easy it is to make!
We have made this many times now for easy weeknight dinners and it’s so fun to have Turkey much more often than just at Thanksgiving! Serve it over mashed potatoes, stuffing or with roasted veggies to keep it a healthier dinner.
Instant Pot Turkey and Gravy Recipe
- 1 (3 lb) FROZEN boneless turkey roast, (I use the Butterball savory herb all white meat)
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons turkey herb rub (herb chicken rubs work great too)
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 4 stalks celery, cut into large pieces
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- a few sprigs fresh herbs: rosemary, sage & thyme
- 2 (.87 oz) packets turkey gravy mix
- Place trivet in the bottom of your instant pot insert. Place frozen turkey roast on trivet.
- Add chicken broth. Pour butter on top of turkey. Sprinkle with turkey herb rub seasoning.
- Place onion, celery and garlic around the turkey. Place herbs on top and seal lid and close vent.
- Cook on manual high for 45 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally (wait for pressure pin to drop by itself before proceeding), about 10 minutes.
- Carefully open the lid, remove the turkey, place on a platter and cover with foil or in a pot with a lid. Strain out remaining herbs and vegetables (with a slotted spoon or a strainer depending on your preference).
- Set instant pot to sauté. Add gravy packets and whisk until smooth. Bring to a low boil, and cook stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Slice turkey and serve with gravy!