CHICKEN BACON SPAGHETTI. Yup, you read that right and it’s even more amazing than it sounds. I have been making this recipe for years and years but have never gotten around to sharing it because it’s usually a dish I am making after a long/bad day or when I want a big plate of comfort food.
My great Aunt Dorothy was the first person to ever introduce me to chicken spaghetti. She brought it to every family get together and I was always the first in line. It’s so cheesy, creamy and pasta-y. It’s one of those stick to your bones kind of meals that you want to dive into after a long day.
One batch of this makes enough for 3+ dinners for Jorge and I. So I always break it up into three small pans and freeze two of them. It takes about an hour to cook once it’s frozen, but it’s so nice to be able to pull it out of the freezer and heat up with no work from me.
This Chicken Bacon Spaghetti is just like the one I used to eat at all those family get togethers growing up…except I added bacon…because, well, it’s bacon. If you want, you can totally skip the bacon, but I am not sure we can be friends anymore. (kidding…mostly)
If you are looking for a meal the whole family will love, I promise this is it. I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as we do!
TO FREEZE: If you want to freeze a portion for later, I use foil pans and then top it tightly with a piece of foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. When you are ready to bake it, put it directly from the freezer to the oven and let it cook for 50 minutes. Then remove the foil and let it cook another 10 minutes. Voila – dinner is done!
- 1.5 lbs chicken (any combo)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb thin spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken
- 1 (10.5 oz) can of cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- black pepper, to taste
- slap ya mama seasoning (or tony’s chachere’s seasoning)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 casserole with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a stock pot, add chicken and salt. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil until chicken is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot (do not throw out the water it was cooked it) and shred. Set aside.
- Add additional water to the pot (enough to boil the spaghetti in) and bring to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes.
- Drain spaghetti, but retain 1 cup of the liquid the spaghetti was cooked in.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cooked spaghetti, the 1 cup of liquid the noodles were cooked in, the cooked and shredded chicken, onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, 1.5 cups of the cheddar cheese and bacon. Stir well to combine. (I find it easiest to use big tongs to do this!)
- Add seasoning to taste, then pour it into prepared 9×13. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes, remove the foil and let cook an additional 10 minutes. Serve hot!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 654Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 1789mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 46g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.