Southern Chicken and Biscuits
This Southern Chicken and Biscuits recipe is a creamy, comforting casserole perfect for cold days when you just want a big bowl of cozy!
If you like this recipe, you’ll probably love my famous Homemade Chicken and Dumplings recipe!
Southern Chicken and Biscuits
It has taken it’s sweet time, but Fall has finally found Florida. This week it has been cool enough to finally wear my new boots! They have been hanging out in the back of my closet just waiting for me to finally show them off.
I will only make Chicken & Biscuits when it’s cold outside…it’s one of those meals that is only good when there is a chill in the air. So it seemed meant to be when my new Pampered Chef Rockcrok showed up on my doorstep. They have a lot of new products, but I was most excited about this everyday pan. It’s the perfect size (2.5 qts) for a recipe like Chicken & Biscuits.
There is room for the chicken and sauce — with plenty of space for the biscuits to bake on top. It is able to stand heats up to 752°F, so it can easily go from stove top to the oven (which is a must in this recipe to cook the biscuits). Plus, the best part for me, it’s dishwasher safe! No scrubbing!
Chicken and Biscuits is one of my favorite stick to your bones recipe. No one will leave the table hungry after this one! If you have never had it before, it’s kind of like chicken pot pie or chicken and dumplings…but with biscuits on top!
I add green onions and parsley to my drop biscuits and it gives this dish an extra kick of flavor. If you are a green pea person — add them to this dish when you add the chicken. Much to my mother’s chagrin, I still hate green peas and will never add them to my Chicken and Biscuits. 😉
This recipe is kid approved, man approved…and after a little accident today — I found out it’s also dog approved. While the ingredients list looks a little daunting, I promise it’s an easy dish that the whole family will enjoy!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 large yellow onion)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, diced
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 green onions, minced
- In a Pampered Chef Rockcrok, melt the butter. Add the garlic, onion, celery and carrots and saute over medium heat until softened - about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the milk and chicken stock to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for another minute, stirring, until thick. Add the chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper. Turn heat to low and let simmer while you make your biscuits.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper. Add the butter and pulse until the butter is the size of peas. Add the milk and pulse until a dough forms. Mix in the parsley and green onions.
- Drop the biscuit dough in 1/4 cup sized dollops onto the top of the chicken mixture (this will make about 6 large biscuits). Place the Pampered Chef Rockcrok into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, until the biscuits are golden. Serve immediately.
I like to use a rotisserie chicken for this recipe. It is the perfect amount of chicken and cuts down on my cooking time. But you could also buy chicken breasts and boil/roast them and then shred the meat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 706Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 940mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 4gSugar: 14gProtein: 28g
This post is sponsored by Pampered Chef. While I was compensated for my time, my opinions are all my own. I was not paid to post positive comments.