This instant pot chicken breast recipe will take your meal prep to the next level using fresh or frozen chicken. Make the best instant pot shredded chicken and use it in recipes throughout the week!
If you don’t have an instant pot, you can also make quick and delicious shredded chicken on the stovetop as well!
Table of Contents
- WHY COOK CHICKEN BREASTS IN AN INSTANT POT?
- INGREDIENTS FOR INSTANT POT SHREDDED CHICKEN
- HOW TO COOK CHICKEN BREASTS IN THE INSTANT POT
- CAN I COOK FROZEN CHICKEN BREASTS IN THE INSTANT POT?
- HOW TO SHRED INSTANT POT CHICKEN BREASTS
- HOW TO STORE SHREDDED CHICKEN
- CAN I FREEZE SHREDDED CHICKEN?
- WHAT CAN I MAKE WITH SHREDDED CHICKEN BREASTS?
- Get the Recipe
WHY COOK CHICKEN BREASTS IN AN INSTANT POT?
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is the perfect addition to your meal prep routine. You only need a handful of ingredients to make tender shredded chicken, which you can then store in your fridge and have on hand for busy weeknight dinners. Shredded chicken is a great start for so many meals and everyone loves it!
Also, if you forgot to meal prep this shredded chicken it’s easy enough to make even on the busiest weeknights. Just toss all the ingredients in the Instant Pot and let the chicken breasts cook in the pressure cooker while you prepare other parts of your meal. This easy shredded chicken breast recipe is truly no-fuss cooking at its best.
INGREDIENTS FOR INSTANT POT SHREDDED CHICKEN
Making shredded chicken in the instant pot only requires a handful of staple ingredients. To make this recipe you will need:
- Chicken (or vegetable broth)
- Kosher salt
- Italian seasoning
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil or butter
- Skinless chicken breasts
That’s it! Odds are the only ingredients you will need to buy for this recipe are the broth and chicken breasts. Everything else you probably already have in your kitchen.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN BREASTS IN THE INSTANT POT
For this recipe, you’ll simply combine broth with Italian seasoning, kosher salt, cracked black pepper, garlic powder and olive oil or butter. Pour this mixture into the Instant Pot inner pot. Add the chicken breasts to the inner pot, secure the lid, and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
Don’t forget it will take your Instant Pot 10 minutes to come to pressure before it begins the cooking timer. Once the timer goes off, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release and let the chicken sit for 10 minutes.
Before you know it, your chicken will be done! It could not be any easier!
CAN I COOK FROZEN CHICKEN BREASTS IN THE INSTANT POT?
Yes! Prepare the frozen chicken just as you would fresh chicken breasts. I like to make sure the breasts aren’t frozen together, so I let them thaw a little and then separate them with a fork or knife. This is so the chicken doesn’t come out under-cooked, which is the last thing you want.
Also, you will need to add a few extra minutes onto the cooking time since the breasts are frozen and not fresh. I cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot for 18 minutes at high pressure.
HOW TO SHRED INSTANT POT CHICKEN BREASTS
Once the instant pot has naturally released pressure and it’s safe to remove the lid, carefully remove about half of the liquid from the inner pot. You’ll leave the cooked chicken and remaining liquid in the pot. Leaving some liquid in the pot helps keep your shredded chicken moist.
Shred your chicken in the liquid using two forks to pull apart the chicken. You can also use a hand mixer or stand mixer! To use a hand mixer just place the beaters in the pot and let them tear up the chicken. If using a stand mixer, pour the chicken and liquid into the stand mixer bowl and let the beaters shred the chicken for you.
HOW TO STORE SHREDDED CHICKEN
You can place your cooled shredded chicken in an air-tight container in your refrigerator for up to five days. This way it is super handy for meal prep or quick dinners later on in the week!
CAN I FREEZE SHREDDED CHICKEN?
If you’d like to freeze your shredded chicken for later, simply let it cool and place it in a freezer friendly ziplock bag for three months. Lay the bag flat in the freezer so it doesn’t take up unnecessary space. Don’t forget to label the bag so you know how long it is good for!
WHAT CAN I MAKE WITH SHREDDED CHICKEN BREASTS?
I love using shredded chicken to make healthy salads, sandwiches and tacos, which are pretty much as easy as it gets when it comes to weeknight dinner ideas.
You can also use shredded chicken to make some of my most popular weeknight dinner recipes:
Best Chicken Salad
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or seasoned salt, garlic salt, etc.
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or butter
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (fresh or frozen)
- Place broth, salt, Italian seasoning, pepper, garlic powder and olive oil into the Instant Pot inner pot. Whisk to combine. Add the chicken breasts and lock on the lid.
- FOR FRESH CHICKEN BREASTS: Select Manual (or Pressure Cook) and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. Don’t forget, it will take about 10 minutes for the instant pot to come to pressure and then the timer to start counting down.
- FOR FROZEN CHICKEN BREASTS: Select Manual (or Pressure Cook) and cook on high pressure for 18 minutes. Don’t forget, it will take about 10 minutes for the instant pot to come to pressure and then the timer to start counting down.
- Allow the instant pot to naturally release the pressure by letting it sit untouched for 10 minutes after the countdown timer ends.
- Open the lid and drain about half of the liquid. Shred the chicken breasts with the remaining liquid in the pot, and serve as desired.
- To freeze, let cool to room temperature before placing in freezer bags.
- If you are using frozen chicken breasts, make sure they are not frozen together as this will affect how they cook. If they are frozen together, let them thaw enough that you are able to pry them apart before cooking.
- You can freeze the cooked and shredded chicken for meal prep for easy weeknight meals.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.