If you are looking for a great leftover ham recipe, this easy Creamy Ham Casserole is what you need! It is loaded with bites of ham, cheesy noodles and veggies!
Easy Leftover Ham Casserole
Looking at leftover ham and wondering what else you can do with it? I am here with a delicious solution – ham casserole!
But not just any ham casserole — no, no — *the* ham casserole to beat all ham casseroles!
This Creamy Ham Casserole recipe is loaded with salty ham, pasta, broccoli and carrots all coated in a delicious creamy, cheesy sauce.
You can change up the vegetables or flavored cream cheese to make this recipe all your own, but it’s simply the best ham casserole.
Ham Casserole Ingredients
First, you will need a good hunk of leftover ham. However, you can also use a ham steak or small store bought quarter ham.
You can add as much or as little ham as you have on hand, I recommend at least 2 cups to give it a good overall ham flavor.
Then we use egg noodles to give the casserole some bulk and whatever vegetables you would like to use. I recommend any of the following veggies:
- broccoli florets
- cauliflower florets
- green peas
Lastly we need to make our extra creamy, flavorful and cheesy sauce we toss everything in.
Creamy Cheesy Sauce!
The creamy, cheesy sauce is what makes this Creamy Ham Casserole stand out from other ham casserole recipes!
It’s made with a few ingredients: milk, cream of mushroom soup, chive cream cheese, and 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
It’s an easy sauce to whisk together, but the different ingredients combine to create one flavorful and creamy sauce.
A couple of optional swaps depending on what you have on hand:
- Cream Of Mushroom Soup — you can also use cream of onion, cream of celery or cream of cauliflower soup.
- Chive Cream Cheese — yes, you can use regular cream cheese. The jalapeño cream cheese also adds a fun kick if you like things spicy!
Can I Make this Ham Casserole Ahead?
Yes! There are a few options. You can make this to serve immediately, prep it a day or two ahead and store it in the fridge, or you can freeze it for a later date!
I have included all the different options with directions below:
To bake immediately:
- Cover casserole with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned.
Can I prep this Ham Casserole ahead of time?
- Wrap unbaked Casserole with heavy duty foil or saran wrap. Store in refrigerator for up to 24 hours before baking.
- Bake according to recipe directions below!
Can I freeze this Ham Casserole?
- Wrap unbaked Casserole with heavy duty foil. Freeze up to 3 months.
- When ready to eat, remove casserole from freezer and let rest on the counter for 30 minutes (this ensures your baking dish will not crack while baking from the heat).
- Then bake, covered, at 350 degrees, for 1 hour. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned.
This Creamy Ham Casserole recipe is surprisingly delicious and a family classic in our house any time we have leftover ham.
Sometimes when we get a craving and need a little comfort, I will run out and grab a ham steak just so we can have this on a random Wednesday night!
I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do. Make sure and leave a comment/review below to let me know how it turns out!
- 4 1/2 cups egg noodles
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup milk
- 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (6 oz) tub chive cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish, set aside.
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Cook egg noodles for 2 minutes. Add broccoli and carrots and cook 3 minutes more. Drain immediately. (You do not want to over cook your noodles, otherwise you will end up with a soggy casserole.)
- Combine milk, cream of mushroom soup, cheddar cheese, and cream cheese in a large bowl; until smooth. Fold in noodle mixture, ham and pepper.
- Spread the noodle mixture evenly in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over casserole.
- Cover casserole with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 780mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 15g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.