These Easy Cake Mix Cookie Bars are loaded with all kinds of chocolate! They only take 30-minutes to make, which means this is a quick dessert that you absolutely need to have on hand. Who can resist a chewy chocolate chip cookie bar, warm from the oven?
Easiest Ever Cake Mix Cookie Bars
Looking for a way to use up that box of cake mix sitting in the pantry? Even if you’re not, do yourself a favor and try this Cake Mix Cookie Bars recipe, because it deserves a place in your heart. Specifically the place that belongs to all things sweet.
These soft, chewy cookie bars are the perfect combination of cake and chocolate chip cookies… why make them separately when you can make them together in half the time?
Also, just try not to eat these cake mix bars out of the pan, because it’s practically impossible not to. If you can, I’m seriously impressed, and are you sure you used enough chocolate chips? In all seriousness, enjoy this chocolatey masterpiece!
What do you need for these cake mix cookie bars? Gather the following:
- 1 Box of Yellow Cake Mix: you can use other kinds of cake mix instead, if you’re feeling fancy 🙂
- Vegetable Oil
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
*You can use one kind of chocolate chips if you’d rather, but I love using all three.
How to Make Cookie Bars with Cake Mix
Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter or a light coating of baking spray, set aside.
Mix: In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the cake mix, eggs, vegetable and chocolate chips until full incorporated.
Press Dough into Pan: Press the dough into the prepared pan, into an even layer. Decorate the top with extra chocolate chips, if desired.
Bake: Bake for 25 minutes or until the top begins to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing into squares.
Storage: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Tips for the Best Cookie Bars
Here are some great tips for making the best cookie bars:
- Pressing the Batter into the Pan: the batter for these cake mix bars is going to be thick and sticky. I find it’s very helpful to grease a spatula and press the batter into the 9×13 pan.
- Thick vs Thin Cookie Bars: Using a 9×13 pan will make nice, thick bars but if you want yours a little more thin, you can press the batter into a sheet pan. The baking time will be slightly shorter, just keep an eye on it and remove when the top of the bars begin to turn a light golden brown.
- Let Cookies Cool Before Cutting: they will be a lot less likely to crumble on you if you let them come to room temperature before you cut them.
This recipe is so easy to customize to your liking. I love the combination of the three types of chocolate chips, but you can choose whatever flavor you want.
Try adding M&M’s, health bars, caramel chunks, nuts, dried fruit, etc. You can also change the flavor of the cake – the possibilities are endless!
These cake mix bars are so pretty just as they are, but if you really want to take it up a notch, these are stunning when drizzled with melted chocolate, or topped with whipped cream and extra chips!
Because they are a cake base, you can also put a dollop of icing on the top for a truly cake-like taste. Of course, be sure to serve all this goodness with a tall glass of milk!
Need another idea? Try these cookie bars warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
How to Store Homemade Cookie Bars
There is nothing better than a warm cake mix chocolate chip cookie bar straight out of the oven, but these also store very well!
Because of their cake mix base, they stay nice and soft and fluffy. To store them, cover them with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container. They should stay nice and fresh for up to three days.
Can I Freeze Cake Mix Cookie Bars?
Yes! First make sure to chill them in the fridge after they come to room temperature, then wrap them in a couple layers of saran wrap.
After that, place them in an airtight container and store them in the freezer–they should keep for a couple of months.
These soft and chewy Cake Mix Cookie Bars are so delicious and easily customizable! Add whatever fillings you want and they are sure to be a hit! If you try out this recipe, please share a photo below in the comments. I love to see how recipes turn out for you!
- 1 box (15.25 oz) yellow cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with butter or a light coating of
baking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the cake mix, eggs, vegetable and chocolate chips until full incorporated.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan, into an even layer. Decorate the top with extra chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top begins to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing into squares.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 455Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 357mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 2gSugar: 41gProtein: 5g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.