This easy Pico De Gallo recipe is loaded with fresh tomatoes, jalapeños, onion, and lime juice. It’s a great snack, appetizer, and topping to all of your favorite Mexican dishes!
An Easy Pico De Gallo Recipe
Pico De Gallo is the answer to all of your snacking needs. It’s so addicting! Filled with juicy tomatoes and a little bit of heat from the jalapeños, a bite of this zesty salsa is like having a party in your mouth. Cheesy description, I know, but it’s true!
I love making this salsa because it takes almost no time to mix together, but it’s SO delicious. Plus, I can serve it with whatever I want – chips, pretzels, crackers, etc. I also highly recommend piling some on top of your enchiladas, quesadillas, or any other Mexican dishes you’ve got cooking in your kitchen!
What is Pico De Gallo?
Pico De Gallo (aka salsa fresca) is a Mexican salsa recipe, made with tomatoes, onions, peppers, salt, cilantro, and lime juice. This homemade salsa can be served on top of practically any traditional Mexican dish, or just enjoyed on a tortilla chip – it’s really up to you!
You only need 6 simple ingredients to prepare this salsa. Gather the following:
- Limes: you’ll need the juice of 2 regular-sized limes.
- Onion: 1 medium sized onion, finely diced.
- Roma Tomatoes
- Jalapeño: seeds removed, finely diced. You can also use a Serrano pepper.
- Cilantro: also finely diced.
How to Make Pico De Gallo
When I need a quick appetizer to put out on the table before dinner or something, Pico De Gallo is my go-to recipe. Here’s how you make it:
Mix Lime Juice & Onion: Add fresh lime juice and salt to a large bowl. Whisk together and then add in onion. Let the onion rest in the salted lime juice.
Chop Up the Tomatoes: Dice the Roma tomatoes while the onion marinates. You want to dice them into as equal sized pieces as possible.
Add in Tomatoes & Jalapeño: Add the chopped tomatoes, jalapeño and cilantro to the bowl and stir to combine.
Add Salt: Taste and add more salt, if needed. You can also add additional jalapeño at this point if you want it more spicy!
Refrigerate: Let the mixture marinate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Tips for Success
Looking for some pointers on how to get the best results with your salsa? Here are some thoughts:
- Finely Chop Onion and Tomatoes: the more precise you are about your chopping, the more flavor will sink into the smaller pieces.
- Which Tomatoes to Use: Roma tomatoes are the best because they aren’t so watery, but make sure that they are perfectly ripe. You can also use cherry or grape tomatoes.
- Let Salsa Marinate: if you serve it immediately, the flavors won’t have had time to settle into the mixture – waiting at least 30 minutes yields the best results taste-wise!
- Possible Add-ins: corn kernels and/or avocado slices would taste amazing in this salsa.
What should you serve with homemade salsa? Try out some of these choices:
- Chips: any store brand tortilla chip is good.
- Pretzels: same as above but with pretzels. :)
- Crackers: I would use a plain cracker, but you could play around with flavored crackers if you want to.
- On Enchiladas: or quesadillas or tacos. Or nachos. You get the picture. The juicy tomatoes and spicy jalapeños make a great topping!
- On Breakfast Burritos: yes, you can even eat pico de gallo for breakfast!
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Pico De Gallo
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 10 roma tomatoes
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, finely diced
- Add fresh lime juice and salt to a large bowl. Whisk together and then add in onion. Let the onion rest in the salted lime juice.
- Dice the roma tomatoes while the onion marinates. You want to dice them into as equal sized pieces as possible.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, jalapeño and cilantro to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Taste and add more salt, if needed. You can also add additional jalapeño at this point if you want it more spicy!
- Let the mixture marinate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
more mexican-inspired recipes
Looking for more Mexican-style recipes? Check our some of these:
- Cheese Enchiladas
- Churro Pancakes
- Tuna Salad Stuffed Avocados
- Mexican Casserole
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.