Triple Coconut Poke Cupcakes
LYLA THREW AWAY MY IPHONE. I’m sorry, but nothing but all capital letters would do for that one. And it’s not like she threw it away, I dug in the trash and found it. Instead, it’s currently crushed somewhere at the county trash.
How did this happen you ask? Well, it all started with me finally cleaning out the pantry. I have been meaning to do it, but I just kept closing the door and ignoring it. However, yesterday morning I was high on pain killers (had some oral surgery on Monday – pain pills are a must currently) and decided now would be a good time to tackle the pantry.
I started tossing everything expired, or things I bought that the girls decided they didn’t like, into the trash can. Ellie & Lyla were around my feet the entire time trying to “help”…ahh toddlers.
Jorge grabbed the trash bag for me and ran it out to the curb so we didn’t miss trash pick up. A few minutes later, I started looking for my phone. Couldn’t find it. Did ‘find my iPhone’ and the map showed it was in our house.
So I started searching. Then I hit refresh on ‘find my iphone’ and realized the phone was traveling down the street. Jorge – realizing what had happened — started chasing down the garbage truck…but it was too late. They had crushed it.
And of course, for the very first time, I did not buy the insurance. So I am currently plotting ways to get even with Miss Lyla in about 15 years. I figure, at 16 she will have a sincere attachment to her phone. Maybe I will let it go swimming. (Kidding. Kind of.)
So, as if this is a surprise, I really needed some cheering up after having my brand new phone crushed to death. And one of the few guaranteed ways to cheer me up? Baking…especially happy little cupcakes.
These Triple Coconut Poke Cupcakes were an idea I have had for quite some time. I LOVE cream of coconut and I am alway trying to find new ways to use it besides guzzling it by the gallon in Piña Coladas.
The cupcake itself is a little messy, but it has so much flavor packed into it. The whipped cream frosting keeps the cupcake light overall and it is the perfect pairing with the coconut soaked cupcake underneath.
I shared these with some friends and they talked about them for days. Everyone was surprised by how moist they were and how much coconut flavor they had! These cupcakes are best made and served the same day.
Triple Coconut Poke Cupcakes
recipe note: these cupcakes are messy and best made and served the same day, but SO worth it!
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8.5 oz) can Coco Lopez Real Cream of Coconut
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- toasted coconut, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, until well combined
- With mixer on low slowly pour in milk, vegetable oil and vanilla. Add in flour mixture, beating until just combined.
- Fill cupcake tins 3/4 full and bake for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are still warm, pierce the top of the cupcakes with a fork or straw many times. You want to create a bunch of holes for the cream of coconut to sink in.
- Spoon the cream of coconut on top of the cupcakes letting it sink in. You might have to go over them a second time. Let cupcakes cool completely.
- When ready to serve:
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk heavy cream, powdered sugar, coconut extract and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe or scoop whipped cream on top of the cooled cupcakes and finish off with toasted coconut. Serve immediately!
Other Coconut recipes you might like: