This simple, but oh so buttery, Beer Bread recipe is a delicious way to make bread without yeast. It bakes up with a perfect buttery crust and soft, tender inside!
If you like this quick bread recipe, you will also want to try out my recipe for Easy Irish Soda Bread, or the other version of this Beer Bread with bacon in it — Bacon Beer Bread!
Easy Homemade Beer Bread
Quick breads are already beyond easy to make and bake up super – wait for it – quick (I’m here all week folks!). So, you might be wondering what can make them better? How about BUTTER and BEER!?! There is a full bottle of beer and a full stick of butter in this Beer Bread recipe, but who’s counting, right?
This is a recipe I’ve been making and perfecting for over 10-years now. You can trust me when I say, you’re going to love it.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it takes no more than 5 minutes of work from you. Then, you pop it in the oven and in about an hour, you are devouring your buttery Beer Bread – smeared with even more butter (if you can handle it!).
What is Beer Bread?
Beer bread is a quick bread recipe that incorporates an entire bottle of, you guessed it, BEER! The beer acts in place of yeast as the leavening agent, along with baking powder. The alcohol evaporates in the baking process, so it is safe for the kids to enjoy as well.
If you don’t like the taste of beer, don’t go running. It does not taste like you are drinking a bottle of beer. I promise. Instead the beer adds a great flavor to the finished bread!
The recipe ingredients here are so simple you are sure to have them in your pantry. Seriously, there are only 6 ingredients! You may just need to run out for your favorite lager.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- unsalted butter
How to Make Beer Bread
1. Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Line the loaf pan with parchment paper for easy removal (optional).
2. Mix: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir the beer into the dry ingredients until just mixed.
3. Pour: Pour half of the melted butter into the bottom of the loaf pan. Then spoon the batter into the pan, and pour the rest of the butter on top of the batter.
4. Bake: Bake your beer bread for 50 to 60 minutes, until it’s golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve your beer bread immediately with a smear of more butter.
Tips for the Best Beer Bread
You’re going to love this beer bread, but keep these tips in mind to make sure it is as good as possible:
- My favorite beer to use in this recipe is Shiner Bock. If you can’t find that, I suggest using a darker beer because it gives the bread better flavor, but a light beer will work in a pinch!
- You can replace your sugar with honey.
- Use a sharp serrated knife to slice your bread.
- For an interesting savory variation, you can mix in herbs and garlic, or green chilies and cheddar cheese.
This buttery Beer Bread is perfect sliced and served with a dab of butter, but here are some additional serving ideas:
- Topped with butter and honey
- Topped with butter and jam
- With chili or any soup – particularly a chili, veggie or bean soup
- Along with a stew or pot roast
How to Store
Store this bread at room temperature for about 2-3 days. Make sure you keep it in an airtight container to keep it moist. Resist the urge to put it in the refrigerator. That will actually make your bread go stale more quickly.
Can I Freeze this Bread?
Yes! Simply double wrap it in saran wrap and aluminum foil. You can freeze it for up to 6 months. Let it come to room temp in your fridge before slicing it. Reheat each slice in the microwave for 20 seconds.
You can freeze loaves of this buttery Beer Bread and then use them as holiday gifts!
This Beer Bread recipe has been a favorite of ours for over a decade. It’s something we make so often, I don’t even have to look back at the recipe anymore! It’s a recipe that I always have the ingredients on hand for and my family is sure to eat every single bite.
Please leave a review or comment below letting me know how it turns out for you!
Buttery Beer Bread
This Buttery Beer Bread is an fun, easy twist on a classic quick bread recipe. It's made using just a few ingredients and comes out soft and oh so buttery!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Line with parchment paper for easy removal (optional).
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir the beer into the dry ingredients until just mixed.
Pour half the melted butter into the bottom of the loaf pan. Then spoon the batter into the pan, and pour the rest of the butter on top of the batter.
Place loaf pan on cookie sheet in case there is any butter that spills over as it bakes.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve immediately with a smear of more butter, or reheat in the microwave for 20 seconds.
I used Yuengling (original) this time. I prefer to use Shiner Bock, but the store was out. I would suggest using a darker beer because it gives the bread better flavor, but a light beer will work in a pinch!
Repost from 2009
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 360mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 4g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.