Lightly sweetened with honey and golden like a ray of sunshine, this sweet cornbread is the perfect side to soak up all the BBQ sauce and soup with at your next gathering.
If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy this spicy jalapeno cheddar cornbread!
Easy Homemade Honey Cornbread
Baked to golden perfection, you’ll love this sweet cornbread with a crispy crust. The secret? Preheating the skillet in the oven before adding the batter. Once that’s done, it’ll only be 20 minutes before you’re dunking it into your favorite soups.
With a bit of honey, this easy cornbread recipe has just the right amount of sweetness for it to go with savory dishes. However, you can also use maple or agave syrup for a small twist on the recipe. Plus, you can incorporate all sorts of add-ins like chopped jalapeños and crispy bacon for heat and crunch. Even though it’s a one-pan recipe, you’re in charge!
Don’t be afraid to make it in advance, it freezes really well. Whether you’re looking for something to complete your weeknight dinner or up your Thanksgiving menu, this 10-ingredient cornbread is a life-saver that won’t have anyone looking under the table for flavor.
What You’ll Need
You only need 10 ingredients for this crispy cornbread to come together. For exact ingredient amounts, check the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Yellow cornmeal
- All-purpose flour – Don’t use cake flour or your cornbread won’t have enough structure.
- Brown sugar – Use light brown sugar. Technically dark brown sugar works too but it’ll give the bread a very dark color.
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Honey – Please use raw honey. Maple and agave syrup are also good substitutes.
- Buttermilk – If you don’t have any, make some! Substitute 1 tbsp in every cup of milk for 1 tbsp white vinegar.
- Butter – Salted or unsalted is okay.
How to Make Sweet Cornbread
It’s just about as easy as a boxed mix, so let’s get started!
- Prepare the skillet. Preheat the oven to 425 F and place a large cast-iron skillet inside. Heating it will give the cornbread a crispy crust.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Combine the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients. Add the honey, eggs, and buttermilk. Use a silicone spatula or wooden spoon to incorporate the ingredients until you get a slightly lumpy batter.
- Melt the butter. Remove the skillet from the oven and add the butter. Let it melt completely and then carefully pour in the batter.
- Bake. Return the skillet to the oven and let the cornbread bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool and serve. Remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving it with more butter or honey.
Tips for Success
Sometimes a couple of cheats go a long way in simplifying a recipe:
- Use a casserole dish. If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, use a 9×9″ casserole dish instead.
- Use a cupcake tray. For easy serving, make this recipe in a cupcake tray and cut the baking time to 12-15 minutes.
- Use whole-wheat flour. For a healthier alternative, you can go the whole-wheat flour route and no one will be able to tell the difference.
- Add jalapeño. Chop up some jalapeño to taste and add it to the batter for a spicy bite. You can also add chopped bacon for some crunch and smokiness.
What to Serve with Sweet Cornbread
When considering what to serve it with, think of hearty, filling dishes you’d bring to potlucks. These are great inspiration for main dishes because cornbread is perfect for family meals and cookouts.
For chicken or beef options, try these:
- Grilled Rosemary Honey Mustard Chicken
- Sticky Chicken Tenders
- Juicy Flank Steak
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
For something a little bit more soupy and comforting, enjoy it with my Crockpot King Ranch Chicken Soup and Homemade Keto Chili.
How to Store Leftovers
Refrigerate any cooled leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. To reheat it, sprinkle it with a bit of water and microwave it for up to 20 seconds or until warm.
Can I Freeze Homemade Cornbread?
Sure! Wrap any cooled leftovers in plastic wrap and then place them in a freezer-friendly bag or container. Freeze the sweet cornbread for up to 3 months. To thaw, set it on the counter for a couple of hours. Serve at room temperature or warm it in the microwave.
Sweet Corn Bread
Golden like a ray of sunshine, this sweet cornbread has just the right amount of moisture and sponginess to go with your meals.
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. If using a large cast iron skillet (around 12 inches), place it in the oven to heat. If not, you can use a 9x9 casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the honey, eggs, and buttermilk. Stir till combined and just slightly lumpy.
- Remove the cast iron skillet from the oven and add the butter. Let the butter melt completely and then pour in the cornbread.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove and serve with butter or honey butter.
Storage: Refrigerate any cooled leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. To reheat it, sprinkle it with a bit of water and microwave it for up to 20 seconds or until warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 599mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 6g
More Easy Side Dishes
- Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes
- Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan
- Candied Carrots Recipe
- Buttery Beer Bread
- Ensalada de Coditos con Jamon (Macaroni Salad with Ham)
- Sautéed Green Beans with Garlic
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.