So, let’s talk about one of my true guilty pleasures. The Honey Bun. You know them by their beckoning call from the aisle at the gas station aisle.
You know the drill. You were running late. So you stop at the gas station to grab a trail mix bar and a monster green juice thingie for a quick healthy on-the-go breakfast.
However you somehow leave with a honey bun and a coffee…or in my case, coffee flavored milk. You then enjoy your shameful breakfast in the quiet solace of your car.
Come on, admit it…you have totally been there too.
So in honor of my favorite guilty pleasure, I give you the Honey Bun Cake. It can be eaten for breakfast, dessert, or at midnight over the sink while you are rocking a teething baby back to sleep. Not that I would know anything about that.
This cake comes together VERY quickly thanks to the use of melted butter. Then, while it’s still warm, you top it with a delicious glaze — just like a honey bun!
Honey Bun Cake
This Honey Bun Cake is the bundt cake version of a sweet honeybun! Moist cinnamon cake is covered in a sweet vanilla glaze for a dessert (or breakfast!) you'll absolutely adore.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease & flour a bundt pan or spray with Baker’s Joy. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, water and sour cream. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour a third of the cake batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture over the batter. Pour another third of the cake batter on top of the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar-cinnamon mixture. Pour the remaining batter on top and gently swirl the batter a few times with a butter knife.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cake cool for 15 minutes, and then invert onto a cake plate.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract to create glaze. Pour on top of cake while cake is still a little warm. Slice and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 364mgCarbohydrates: 87gFiber: 1gSugar: 62gProtein: 5g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Made this cake for my hubby tonight and he loved it! A moist and delicious cake. I wanted to make this cake completely from scratch and your recipe delivered.
I also see they make a paper plate version. HA! Sign me up.
Yum…i make a similar one using a boxed yellow cake mix but this one sounds more authentic! Love a good honey bun…can’t find the real thing too much anymore.
I really like your cake plates – where are they from?
I bought the set at Dillards a couple of years ago. However I just searched and found it is still being sold on Amazon and for way cheaper than I paid for a 20 piece set! I also bought the sugar bowl and it’s so cute – it’s my favorite part of the set!
I’ve never had a honey bun!! But maybe they aren’t in Canada…not sure! Anyway, if they’re anything like this cake then I’m all over them. It’s so simple and full of cinnamony sugar, which is THE BEST.
The cake looks delish! Can’t wait to try! But my real question is: where did you get those gorgeous plates?!!!!
Thanks! I bought the set at Dillards a couple of years ago. However I just searched and found it is still being sold on Amazon and for way cheaper than I paid for a 20 piece set! I also bought the sugar bowl and it’s so cute – it’s my favorite part of the set!