So, let’s talk about one of my true guilty pleasures. The Honey Bun. You know them by their beckoning call from the aisle at the gas station aisle.
You know the drill. You were running late. So you stop at the gas station to grab a trail mix bar and a monster green juice thingie for a quick healthy on-the-go breakfast.
However you somehow leave with a honey bun and a coffee…or in my case, coffee flavored milk. You then enjoy your shameful breakfast in the quiet solace of your car.
Come on, admit it…you have totally been there too.
So in honor of my favorite guilty pleasure, I give you the Honey Bun Cake. It can be eaten for breakfast, dessert, or at midnight over the sink while you are rocking a teething baby back to sleep. Not that I would know anything about that.
This cake comes together VERY quickly thanks to the use of melted butter. Then, while it’s still warm, you top it with a delicious glaze — just like a honey bun!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease & flour a bundt pan or spray with Baker’s Joy. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, water and sour cream. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour a third of the cake batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture over the batter. Pour another third of the cake batter on top of the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar-cinnamon mixture. Pour the remaining batter on top and gently swirl the batter a few times with a butter knife.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cake cool for 15 minutes, and then invert onto a cake plate.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract to create glaze. Pour on top of cake while cake is still a little warm. Slice and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 364mgCarbohydrates: 87gFiber: 1gSugar: 62gProtein: 5g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.