This RumChata Pound Cake is a cinnamon and vanilla flavored bundt cake filled with lots of RumChata and topped with a sweet, boozy and buttery RumChata sauce!
Table of Contents
- Boozy RumChata Pound Cake Recipe
- What is RumChata?
- Pound Cake Ingredients
- How to Make the Pound Cake
- How to Make the RumChata Sauce
- Helpful Tips for the Best Pound Cake
- Serving Suggestions
- Can I make this pound cake ahead? What about the sauce?
- How to Store Leftovers
- Can You Freeze RumChata Pound Cake?
- RumChata Pound Cake
Boozy RumChata Pound Cake Recipe
RumChata Pound Cake is a moist, dense bundt cake recipe that you should definitely keep in mind for the upcoming holidays! It’s essentially a classic vanilla pound cake recipe, but with a delicious RumChata twist!
The end result is a cake that tastes a little bit like a snickerdoodle or maybe Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, due to the cinnamon-vanilla flavoring in the liqueur. When served topped with an easy homemade RumChata sauce, you will be in dessert heaven!
What is RumChata?
RumChata is a liqueur made from rum, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and more. The name ‘RumChata’ is a combination of the words ‘rum’ and ‘horchata,’ and the liqueur is designed to taste like a mixture of the two.
Can I use a different liqueur?
Absolutely! You can use any of your favorite liquor in this pound cake. I would recommend one of the following to swap things up:
- Spiced Rum
- Bailey’s Irish Cream
Pound Cake Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this fabulous RumChata pound cake:
For the Pound Cake:
- Whole Milk
- White Vinegar: the vinegar combines with the milk to create an easy buttermilk substitute.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Ground Cinnamon
- Baking Soda
- Unsalted Butter: about 2 sticks, softened.
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
Do I have to use vinegar and whole milk? No, you can also use the same amount of buttermilk in place of the vinegar and milk mixture. I like to use vinegar and milk, in place of buttermilk, because I always have milk/vinegar on hand!
For the RumChata Sauce:
- Unsalted Butter: also soften before using.
- Packed Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Half & Half: or half heavy cream and half whole milk
Kitchen tools needed to make this pound cake:
- I recommend using a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat your batter and keep it smooth. For budget purposes, a hand mixer will do what you need and save you money!
- Bundt Cake Pan. This one is my personal favorite, but any 10-cup bundt pan will do!
How to Make the Pound Cake
Read through these 4 easy steps to learn how to make this pound cake:
Prepare: Preheat oven to 325° Grease a 10-inch bundt pan with baking spray or butter and flour it. Set aside.
Whisk: In small bowl, whisk together milk and vinegar. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Mix: In large bowl of stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla extract until well combined. Beat in flour mixture alternating with milk and RumChata.
Bake: Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, until center is set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow cake to cool for 30 minutes (in bundt pan) before inverting onto cake plate.
How to Make the RumChata Sauce
Once you’ve finished the pound cake, here’s what you’ll need to do to make the RumChata Sauce:
Heat: Combine the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until smooth.
Add: Pour in the cream and RumChata and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 7 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
Pour and Serve: Serve pound cake warm and drizzle each slice with RumChata Sauce.
Helpful Tips for the Best Pound Cake
Here are some useful tips in order to get the best results with your pound cake:
- Let Cake Cool Completely: Once the cake has come to room temperature it will be less likely to crumble or break when you flip it out of the pan.
- Grease the Bundt Pan Well: Make sure you really get to every part of the pan so that the process of removing the cake is easier.
- Don’t Over-Mix the Batter: This creates air pockets which can make the cake dry.
- Do Not Over Bake: The most important way to ensure your pound cake is perfectly dense and moist is to ensure you do not over-bake it. Keep an eye on it and check it with a toothpick to make sure it’s baked perfectly.
Now that you’ve got a nice, big slice of RumChata cake, what should you serve with it? Here are a couple of recommendations from yours truly:
- A Cup of Coffee: A glass of milk will do the job too!
- Ice Cream: Vanilla ice cream would go perfectly with this cake and RumChata sauce drizzled on top. It’s definitely not necessary and this cake and sauce is rich enough on their own, but ice cream is always fun anyways!
- Fruit: Some fresh sliced strawberries would also be a great addition!
- RumChata: This is only recommend for the biggest RumChata fans! Add a glass of RumChata on the side and you’ve got yourself a festive dessert indeed!
Can I make this pound cake ahead? What about the sauce?
This is a wonderful make ahead dessert! You can make both the pound cake AND the sauce ahead of time and they taste just as fresh the next day!
You can store the baked bundt cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 48 hours and it will taste as fresh as the first day.
You can also prep the homemade RumChata sauce and keep it stored for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Then reheat it on the stove top or microwave, stirring often.
How to Store Leftovers
You can keep any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature, as long as you haven’t drizzled the sauce on the whole cake yet.
If you already drizzled the sauce on the cake, eat as much as you can because it doesn’t store very well. You can store it in the refrigerator, but the texture of the cake will become very soggy.
This is why I highly recommend pouring the RumChata sauce on top of each slice as it’s served and not pouring it over the whole cake. This will make sure it’s fresh and delicious, even if you serve it a few days later!
Can You Freeze RumChata Pound Cake?
This cake freezes quite well! Store it in an airtight container, separate from the RumChata sauce, and freeze it for up to a couple of months. When you’re ready to take it out again, let it thaw in the fridge overnight, and then enjoy!
I am so excited for all my fellow RumChata fans to try this epic pound cake recipe. It’s absolutely one of my new favorite recipes featuring those wonderfully warm flavors of cinnamon and vanilla found in RumChata.
When you try this recipe, please share your review and photos in the comments below. I love to see how recipes turn out for you!
For the Pound Cake:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup RumChata
For the RumChata Sauce:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup half & half
- 3 tablespoons RumChata
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan with baking spray or butter and flour it. Set aside.
2. In small bowl, whisk together milk and vinegar. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In large bowl of stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla extract until well combined. Beat in flour mixture alternating with milk and RumChata.
4. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, until center is set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow cake to cool for 30 minutes (in bundt pan) before inverting onto cake plate.
5. Amaretto Sauce: Combine the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until smooth. Add the cream and RumChata and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 7 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
6. Serve pound cake warm and drizzle each slice with RumChata Sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 165mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 1gSugar: 54gProtein: 5g
Want to Save This Recipe?
Looking for more pound cake recipes? Check out these favorites:
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.