Sweet cold watermelon and creamy feta cheese star in this tangy-salty-sweet recipe for Watermelon Feta Salad. It’s a juicy, crisp, and savory side dish that will impress and delight everyone!
A Gorgeous and Easy Gourmet Salad Idea
Do you need a side dish that’s a little out of the ordinary? Something fresh, with a zingy taste that will wake up your menu – and your mouth? Well, this easy watermelon feta salad might just be the perfect recipe for you!
Watermelon feta salad is one of those magical recipes that uses ordinary ingredients to make something truly special and unique. Sweet, crisp chunks of watermelon pair with creamy, salty feta cheese to create the best contrast ever! Add a few simple seasonings like balsamic vinegar and chopped mint, and you have a “fancy” recipe that is super simple to make, and a treat to eat!
What Does Watermelon Feta Salad Taste Like?
You might be wondering, “Are watermelon and feta really a good combination?” And hey, I hear you! It’s an unusual pairing, especially when you add balsamic vinegar and red onion to the mix! Before I tried this recipe, I usually had watermelon as part of a sweet treat or drink.
But using watermelon in a savory dish works really well! Watermelon tastes very similar to cucumber, or iceberg lettuce, with an added sweetness that makes this sweet-and-tangy recipe mouthwatering. Try it, you’ll love it!
The Ingredients List
To make this recipe, you only need a handful of fresh ingredients. Each item builds on the other items, to make a flavor extravaganza! Here’s a look at those ingredients, in detail:
- Olive Oil: A little bit of olive oil gives the salad a slight sheen and depth of flavor.
- Mint: Chopped fresh mint makes a beautifully fresh addition, adding color, fragrance, and flavor.
- Balsamic Vinegar: The unique taste of balsamic vinegar brings out the best in creamy feta, fresh watermelon, and pungent red onion.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste.
- Watermelon: The watermelon should be cubed, and measured by heaping cupfuls. Pro tip: To choose the best watermelon, look for one that is heavy for its size, sounds hollow (never watery!) when thumped, and has a deep golden-yellow spot on one side.
- Cucumber: I use English cucumber, cut in fourths, and then sliced.
- Onion: Thinly slice a bit of red onion to add bite.
- Feta: For the best flavor, purchase a block of feta and crumble it yourself. Pre-crumbled is also fine, though.
How to Make It
Making watermelon feta salad is as easy as one, two, three! Literally! There are only three easy steps to this recipe. And when you’re done making it, you can serve it immediately, or pop it in the fridge to hang out until you’re ready.
- Combine the Oil and Seasonings. In the bottom of a large salad bowl, whisk together the olive oil, fresh mint, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Add the Remaining Ingredients. To the dressing mixture at the bottom of the bowl, add the watermelon cubes, cucumber pieces, and onion. Gently toss everything with salad tongs to coat. Finally, add the feta, and gently toss again to combine.
- Enjoy! Serve the salad with a garnish of fresh mint (if desired).
So that’s it! A totally simple, completely addictive salad that you can pull together in no time at all. It’s full of healthy raw ingredients that will hydrate you and provide helpful vitamins and minerals, too! And bonus: it’s very tweak-able. Here are just a few of my favorite ways to make this recipe a little different.
- Add Greens: For more nutrition and fresh garden flavor, try sprinkling some peppery arugula or watercress leaves into the salad. So delicious, and so good for you!
- Swap the Herbs: I think fresh mint is perfect with watermelon, but you could also use other fresh herbs, such as basil, cilantro, and chive. Yum.
- Make a Dressing: The watermelon is so juicy that you really don’t have to have a salad dressing per se. A little olive oil and some seasonings are more than enough! But if you like, you could replace them with Italian salad dressing, or make a champagne vinaigrette, for a super-special twist.
What Should I Serve with Watermelon Feta Salad?
Since this dish is so crunchy and fresh, with the raw melon and other ingredients, I like to use it to add contrast to richer dishes. Here are a few great ideas to get you started!
- BBQ: Lighten up your bbq with some of this light, crisp and sweet watermelon feta salad! This salad goes perfectly along side everything from slow cooker ribs to brown sugar chicken legs. It’s also delicious served with our favorite easy BBQ oven pulled chicken!
- Grilling Out: It doesn’t matter if you call it grilling out or a cook out, this is the perfect salad to pair with all your favorite grilled things. We love it with juicy grilled chicken kabobs, the best grilled chicken breasts, or even a big juicy flank steak!
How to Refrigerate the Leftovers
This is best served fresh. However, you can cover it tightly and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours, and it will still be tasty! After about 3 days, the salad will be too mushy and watery to serve.
Watermelon Feta Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 heaping cups cubed watermelon
- 1 English cucumber, cut in fourths, and sliced (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil mint, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Add the watermelon, cucumber, and onion. Gently toss to coat. Add the feta, and gently toss again.
- Serve immediately with additional fresh mint for garnish (if desired).
More Flavorful Salad Recipes
Looking for more light and bright flavorful salads? Here are my favorites!
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Easy Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Maple Balsamic Dressing
- Caprese Stuffed Avocado
- Greek Salad
- Copycat Maggiano’s Chopped Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.