This easy Greek Salad recipe is packed with colorful tomatoes, peppers, red onions. Topped with creamy feta crumbles and homemade Greek salad dressing, this salad is beyond tasty!
MY FAVORITE EASY GREEK SALAD
This Greek salad is so easy to make, you’ll be wondering where it has been all your life! The cool, crisp vegetables, soft feta, and light dressing will remind you of summer all year long.
This salad has a simple presentation, but don’t let that fool you. It has flavor packed ingredients that will have everyone coming back for more. The most important part is the easy, homemade Greek Salad Dressing that pulls everything together. You can add chicken on top and make this a heartier salad, or keep it light as a perfect appetizer or side salad.
Sometimes I’ll even serve the salad with just a thick slice of crusty bread drizzled with olive oil. The flavors in this salad and all of the veggies make it a satisfying lunch or dinner in and of itself!
WHAT IS A GREEK SALAD?
Greek salads are known for being loaded with fresh vegetables and feta cheese. They usually have a mix of tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, green peppers, olives and feta cheese all topped with Greek salad dressing. These salads are simple and straightforward, but they are so satisfying with all their fresh flavors!
In Greece, a Greek salad is called Horiatiki and it’s an iconic Mediterranean dish that’s especially popular from early Spring to early Fall, when all of the produce in this recipe is at its peak! It traditionally made without lettuce and is seasoned with just olive oil and oregano and salt.
GREEK SALAD INGREDIENTS
I love how fresh these ingredients are. And how colorful this salad is! With eight simple and healthy ingredients, you can start making greek salads at home in no time.
To make the perfect Greek salad, you will need:
- Romaine lettuce: The perfect salad base.
- Tomatoes: Traditionally, large tomatoes are used in this salad and they are cut into wedges, but you can also use sliced or diced tomatoes if your prefer.
- Cucumber: English or Persian cucumbers will work.
- Red onion: Thinly sliced so they won’t overpower each bite.
- Green bell pepper: Slices of green bell pepper are traditionally used, but you may substitute a sweeter pepper if that’s your preference. Roasted red peppers are also great.
- Kalamata olives: These add such a pop of flavor!
- Feta cheese: This cheese made from sheep’s milk is a must.
- Greek salad dressing: A dressing with a good-quality olive oil base is key for this salad. I like to make my own!
Some optional ingredients you can include are:
- Pita bread or chips: Wrap your salad up in a pita or give it a crunch with some chips.
- Pepperoncinis: These sweet, mild peppers can give your salad the extra kick you are looking for.
- Chicken souvlaki: Add some protein to your salad by topping it with chicken souvlaki.
HOW TO MAKE GREEK SALAD
Making this salad is super easy. It starts with quick veggie prep, followed by crumbled feta cheese. You can add any desired optional ingredients, making it easily customizable to your liking. Add the salad dressing, and that’s it!
Here are the steps:
- Place your chopped romaine lettuce into a large bowl.
- Top the romaine with diced, sliced or quartered tomatoes, thinly sliced cucumbers, thinly sliced red onions, thinly sliced bell pepper, kalamata olives (not pitted), crumbled feta cheese, and any of the optional ingredients you’d like.
- When you are ready to serve this salad, pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss to combine the dressing and salad mixture. Serve immediately after adding the dressing.
CAN I MAKE GREEK SALAD AHEAD?
Yes! You can make the salad the morning you plan on serving it. Just prepare it according to directions, but leave off the salad dressing so the lettuce doesn’t get soggy. Once mealtime has arrived, add the salad dressing and serve the salad by itself or along with another favorite dish.
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST GREEK SALAD
- Use the freshest ingredients you can get your hands on! Because this recipe is so simple, the fresh ingredients make all the difference.
- Don’t add your salad dressing until it’s time to serve your Greek Salad, or it will become soggy.
- Use a very high quality Greek salad dressing, or make your own. It’s super simple to make and is then loaded with flavor!
- If you are making this for a party, you can have a “salad bar” where all the ingredients are offered in different bowls. This allows your guests to pick which toppings they prefer and make their own salads unique!
This Greek Salad is on constant rotation in our house. We may make it for dinner with Chicken Souvlaki on top or serve it as an appetizer for a party, but you can guarantee that it will grace our tables at least once a week!
I hope you enjoy all these fresh flavors as much as we do. Please leave a review or comment below letting me know how it turned out for you!
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 tomatoes diced, sliced or quartered
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Greek salad dressing
- Chicken Souvlaki
- Place romaine lettuce in a large bowl. Tops with tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, kalamata olives and feta cheese. Add optional salad additions as desired.
- When ready to serve, pour dressing on top of the salad and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 780mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 18g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.