Are you ready for the quickest muffin recipe ever? These Brown Sugar Banana Bread Muffins are moist and delicious, and ready to eat in 25 minutes! Add chocolate chips for easy chocolate banana muffins.
Super Easy Brown Sugar Banana Muffin Recipe
Once again, muffins have flown under my radar for quite some time. Until the other day, when I found myself with an overstock of ripe bananas. My daughter is a banana fiend, as is my husband. But even they seemed concerned by some of the more brown ones of the bunch.
What was a girl to do? Having baked my fair share of Banana Bread recently and craving something quick, the inspiration hit me: MUFFINS!
These brown sugar banana muffins are SO quick and easy. Just 25 minutes and they’re ready to eat! Whip up a batch during naptime, as a light breakfast, or after school snack. These muffins never last long in our house!
Are Banana Muffins Healthy?
These homemade banana muffins are the best easy treat. Not only does homemade mean less unknowns in terms of ingredients and additives, but bananas bring all kinds of great benefits to the party! Bananas are:
- Nutrient rich
- Heart healthy
- High in potassium
- Full of antioxidants
By association, these banana muffins are a healthier breakfast option that’s just as tasty as ever!
What You’ll Need
I just love the rich, caramelized flavors that come out with the brown sugar in this recipe. All of the ingredients for these banana muffins are pantry staples, making this one of my favorite easy breakfast ideas!
- All-Purpose Flour: For the most consistent results!
- Bananas: You’ll need three large ripe bananas for this recipe.
- Brown Sugar: I use dark brown sugar for a more intense caramelized flavor, but you can use regular or even light brown sugar if you’d like.
- Vegetable Oil: Or another neutral oil, to bring another level of moisture to these muffins.
- Cinnamon: The combination of cinnamon and brown sugar gives these banana muffins so much comforting flavor.
- Vanilla Extract: As always, pure vanilla extract is best, but imitation will also work.
- Leavening: Baking powder as well as baking soda.
How to Make Fluffy Brown Sugar Banana Muffins
Set your timers to 25 minutes and have your whisks at the ready! Here’s how to make these unbelievably moist brown sugar banana muffins:
Combine the Dry Ingredients: Whisk together the flour, leavening ingredients, cinnamon and salt.
Combine the Wet Ingredients: Combine the mashed bananas, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
Mix the Batter: Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, alternating with the oil and milk. Stir until all the ingredients are just combined.
Bake: Pour the batter into a lined muffin tin, about ¾ of the way full. Bake the muffins in a preheated oven until they pass the “toothpick test” (a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean). Let the muffins cool off a little, then serve them warm and smeared with butter!
Tips & Tricks
- Avoid Over-mixing: Over-mixing the muffin batter will impact the final texture of the muffins (and not for the better). Make sure to mix the wet and dry ingredients only until just combined!
- Can I Use Whole Wheat?: While whole wheat is healthier, I wouldn’t recommend it for this muffin recipe. Whole wheat alone tends to dry out the muffins. If you’re determined to use it, I’d still suggest going half-and-half with regular all-purpose flour.
- How to Ripen Bananas: If you’re craving these sweet brown sugar muffins but are waiting for your bananas to ripen, you can speed up the process. Closing the bananas inside a brown paper bag for a couple of days will help them ripen quicker.
Brown sugar banana muffins are crazy addictive on their own! Or you can try out all sorts of fun add-ins. They’re amazing with a handful of chocolate chips thrown in, for banana chocolate chip muffins. Here are some more mix-in ideas:
- Blueberries, for blueberry muffins
- Walnuts or pecans, for banana nut muffins
- Pumpkin spice
- Dried fruit
- Mini peanut butter cups
- Lemon zest
Storage and Reheating Instructions
Store these banana muffins airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Do These Freeze Well?
These muffins are great to make in batches to freeze! Let the muffins cool completely, then store them in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container and keep them frozen for up to 3 months.
Thaw your banana muffins at room temperature before serving, or pop them in the microwave to warm them through.
More Easy Breakfast Muffins to Try
- Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins
- Banana Cream Cheese Muffins
- Blueberry Lime Muffins
- Gingerbread Muffins
- Vanilla Cranberry Sugar Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffins tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine bananas, dark brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients, alternating with vegetable oil and then milk, stirring until just combined.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for 14-15 minutes, until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Serve warm with butter or store at room temperature for up to 5 days.
These are amazing with a handful of chocolate chips thrown in if you like the chocolate & banana combo!
Store muffins airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Store frozen for up to 3 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.