These decadent, but easy, Nutella Banana Swirl Muffins start with classically delicious banana muffins that are swirled with chocolate Nutella that bakes into the top of the muffin. The ultimate sweet breakfast treat ready in 30 minutes!
Irresistible Banana Nutella Muffins
Jorge likes bananas as much as I like sugary kid cereal, glittery eyeshadow, Friends reruns and shoe sales — all combined. No seriously, the man eats a banana every single day! So making these Nutella Banana Swirl Muffins was a no brainer. Bananas for him — Nutella for me.
The base of this recipe is a sweet, tender and perfectly moist banana muffin. Then before we bake them, we take a toothpick and swirl in a good dollop of Nutella on top of each muffin. Pop them into the oven and let them rise and bake till perfectly golden with dark, rich chocolatey swirls on top.
What You Will Need
This recipe for Banana Nutella Muffins is a pretty basic banana muffin, so you should have most of the ingredients already on hand in your pantry.
- Flour: Regular all purpose flour is what you will need.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Bananas: I recommend using over ripe bananas as they are sweeter and softer, making the perfect banana muffin base. You will need to mash the bananas before adding to the muffin batter.
- Sugar: I like to use a combination of brown sugar and granulated sugar. However, you can use all granulate or all brown sugar if you prefer.
- Oil: I used vegetable oil, but you can use any mild baking oil you prefer.
- Vanilla Extract
- Pecans: I like to add some chopped pecans (or walnuts) for added crunch, but you can skip them if you aren’t a fan of nuts.
- Nutella: Feel free to use store bought Nutella or Homemade Nutella. Both will work!
This is a super easy Banana Nutella Muffin recipe, but here are a few helpful tips for success:
- Ripe Bananas: I recommend using over-ripe bananas (bananas that have started to soften and have brown spots on them). If your bananas are still green or very newly yellow, I recommend waiting to use them in these muffins until they have ripened more. If you want to speed up the ripening of bananas, you can place them in a paper bag to speed up the process.
- Nutella Swirls: If your Nutella is older, it may be hard to swirl it. Heat it in the microwave for a few seconds and give it a good stir to help soften it. I use a toothpick to swirl the Nutella. I add a good size dollop (about a tablespoon) of Nutella on top of the muffin batter. Then using a toothpick, I swirl the Nutella into the top of the muffin. Watch the video in the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more visual help!
- Do Not Overfill Your Muffin Tins: Be careful to only fill your muffins 3/4th of the way full. If you over fill them, they will spill out the top of the muffin cup and make a mess with the Nutella.
How To Store
If you have any leftovers, these Banana Nutella Muffins can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If you want that fresh baked taste back, microwave a single muffin for 7 seconds.
These Nutella Banana Swirl Muffins are one of my absolute favorite ways to use up overripe bananas. Obviously they are tasty (hello, banana + Nutella = match made in heaven), but they also can be whipped up in under 30 minutes from start to finish. Total win-win in my book.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Easy Cinnamon Bread
- Best Fluffy Pancakes
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Tortilla Española
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- How To Make Scrambled Eggs: 4 Ways
- Biscuits & Gravy Casserole
- Chorizo and Eggs
Nutella Banana Swirl Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 medium over-ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1 cup nutella, or Homemade Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together banana, sugar, brown sugar. Beat in egg, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture, until there are no lumps. Fold in pecans.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Top each muffin with about 1 teaspoon of Nutella and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter.
- Bake muffins for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.