Update 2/20/2017: These Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes are my families favorite pancakes! We have been making this exact recipe since 2014 — almost 4 years now — just about every Sunday for breakfast.
We are big breakfast fans and I love any way to use up over ripe bananas. Ellie isn’t a fan of chocolate, but is thankfully a huge banana fan.
I always set aside a little bowl of batter just for her, without chocolate chips, and this recipe makes perfect plain banana pancakes as well. Hope you enjoy eating them as much as we have over the years!
Jorge and I had plans to spend Sunday on the couch — doing nothing. With a long weekend, I like to pick at least one day to just lounge around and be bums. We stayed in our PJs all day and binge watched United States of Tara on Netflix.
Around 11, our stomachs started growling and Jorge asked if I wanted to go out to brunch. I did, but I didn’t want to change out of my PJs…and I don’t think the other paying guests would have been happy to see us there in our pjs sipping mimosas.
Instead I started prepping the ingredients for hoecakes, but Jorge came over and said he wanted something a little different. And if there is one flavor that will always make Jorge happy, it’s banana.
I had these babies on the table in about 15 minutes – definitely faster than we could have gotten into our favorite brunch restaurant.
With the chocolate chips and banana, these pancakes are already sweeter than normal pancakes. Instead of syrup — we just slathered on a little butter and topped them with more bananas and chocolate. 😉
It was definitely one of the best breakfasts we have had in a long time!
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 large bananas)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat mashed bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, sour cream and vegetable oil together until smooth.
- Add flour mixture, alternating with milk and stir until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Heat a non-stick skillet to medium heat. Using a 1/2 cup scoop, pour batter on to skillet.
- Once you start to see little bubbles form, flip and continue to cook until pancake is browned on each side. Continue until you have used all pancake batter.
- Serve pancakes with whatever you would like: butter, syrup or extra sliced bananas & chocolate chips!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 284mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.