Ok, before I start in on my story about too much butter, I have to tell you that this is seriously The BEST Banana Cake Ever. Oh and it’s topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. So there’s that too.
Have you ever been making a recipe and accidentally added two times the amount of butter required? Well, I have now and it sucks. I was busy in the kitchen trying to get some recipes made and the girls were running around like crazy wolverines pulling everything off the counters they could get their hands on. Yesterday Lyla pulled an entire pizza down on her head. This new growth spurt was not in my favor…at all.
So while I was trying to wrangle the wild toddlers, I was also trying to bake this glorious cake. I glanced at the recipe I had jotted down and read 3/4 cup butter and just thought — ok, 3 sticks of butter. WHOA. More like, 1.5 sticks of butter.
Talk about a mess! I didn’t even realize what I had done until much later. The cake was oily and wouldn’t set up…and had a pool of butter that pooled on top of the cake. Baking while distracted is a recipe for disaster. (Please ignore that crappy pun, but it’s true.)
This cake is truly the Best Banana Cake ever. It is an old recipe from 2011 that I thought deserved a much needed update. It’s one of my all time favorite Dream Cakes and anyone who likes bananas will love it too. The banana flavor is just right — not too much and not too little. The cinnamon cream cheese frosting is the perfect accompaniment.
Since I made it in a bunch of thin layers, it doesn’t look as fluffy as it really is, but trust me it is FLUFFY. And super moist. If you haven’t made this recipe before, it’s time to try it! Skip the peanut butter chocolate chip banana bread this time (even though it’s soooooo good too) and try out this Banana Dream Cake!
- 1 cup mashed over ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/8 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz applesauce
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 12 oz (1 1/2 packages) cream cheese, softened
- 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 275°F (135°C). Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed bananas with lemon juice, set aside. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla, sour cream and applesauce. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Fold in the banana mixture.
- Divide batter (about 2 1/2 cup batter in each pan) into prepared pans. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar, cinnamon and vanilla on low speed until combined, then on high until frosting is smooth.
- Assemble the 3 layers with a thick layer of frosting in between each layer and frost the cake as desired. Sprinkle on a little cinnamon around the outside and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 971Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 642mgCarbohydrates: 176gFiber: 2gSugar: 135gProtein: 18g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.