Caramel Apple Dream Cake: three big layers of super moist apple spiced cake, made completely from scratch, frosted with sweet caramel frosting & caramel apples! This is the best apple cake!
This Homemade Caramel Apple Cake Is To Die For
I feel like I shouldn’t have to say anything, that picture just speaks for itself.
This Caramel Apple Dream Cake is obviously incredibly dreamy and you want to make it asap.
The base cake recipe is a spinoff of the ever famous Pumpkin Dream Cake.
Except it’s made with granny smith apples and a caramel frosting that is too die for.
What Is A Dream Cake?
If you are new around here, you must be wondering what a Dream Cake is.
A Dream Cake is a gorgeous layered cake, that is super moist, and so dang good it’s truly dreamy.
It’s just so hard to choose!
How To Make This Caramel Apple Dream Cake
The base of this Caramel Apple Dream Cake is made with butter, apple sauce, shredded granny smith apples and apple pie spice.
And oh lord, it is so good. You could eat it just on it’s own like a snack cake.
However, then we make a super buttery, brown sugar caramel. Let it cool and then whip it with powdered sugar.
The Caramel Frosting Is Amazing
And that becomes our gorgeous caramel frosting. It’s super sweet and it goes on nice and thin, not too thick.
If you like more of a traditional thick frosting, I would recommend using the cinnamon cream cheese frosting from the Pumpkin Dream Cake recipe.
However, this caramel frosting really is the perfect compliment to this Caramel Apple Dream Cake.
How Do You Decorate This Apple Cake?
You can leave it as it, just frosting and cake, or you can dress it up with some fun toppings.
I went with caramel sauce, chopped pecans and caramel apples, but all of these are optional.
It is totally up to you and how fancy you feel like getting!
This Cake Recipe Is Perfect For Fall
So many of you have been asking for me to bring you more Dream Cake recipes and I am so happy to finally be delivering on my promises!
I think you are all batty for not loving pumpkin (kidding, mostly), but I know you are all going to LOVE this Caramel Apple Dream Cake!!
Apple Spice Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/8 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz applesauce
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup peeled and shredded apples
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
- caramel sauce
- chopped pecans
- caramel apples
Apple Spice Cake
- Preheat oven to 300°F (135°C). Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, apple pie spice, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla, sour cream and applesauce.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Fold in the shredded apples.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add brown sugar and heavy cream. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved. Add salt.
- Allow to bubble for about 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat immediately, stir in vanilla extract and allow to cool completely.
- Transfer the brown sugar mixture into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. With the mixer on low, add 3 cups powdered sugar, beat until well combined.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup more powdered sugar at a time until you reach the desired consistency. If your frosting gets too thick, you can add an additonal tablespoon or two of heavy cream, if needed.
- Turn the mixer speed up to medium and continue mixing until creamy and combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Frost cake and decorate as desired.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1499Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 412mgCarbohydrates: 335gFiber: 3gSugar: 299gProtein: 8g
Want to Save This Recipe?
8 inch non stick round cake pans (you will need three of them!)
Apple Pie Spice (I use McCormick)
Box Shredder (to shred your apples)
*this post contains affiliate links to amazon. Thank you for helping me continue to bring you free recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.