These soft and chewy Chunky Monkey Cookies are loaded with chocolate chips and pretzel pieces to create the ultimate sweet and salty dessert! Made in less than 30 minutes, everyone will love these easy homemade cookies.
Chunky Monkey Cookies
Salty and sweet desserts have been my kryptonite this pregnancy and cookies are always a good idea.
So when I had some bananas that were just a little too soft for us to eat regularly, I knew what I was going to do.
No, not banana bread — even though I make a mean Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bread!
Can you tell how much we love bananas around here?!?!
I wanted to make cookies! Specifically Chunky Monkey Cookies – perfect combo of salty and sweet.
We eat so many bananas around these parts and obviously I have a ton of recipes to use up any leftovers.
But I had been craving cookies like crazy, so I knew I had to come up with something different.
I based the dough for these off of my favorite outrageous Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Cookies.
But I cut back on some of the butter in the dough and added banana instead.
Then I folded in a bunch of semi-sweet chocolate chips and salty pretzel pieces.
Whoa mama, were these good. Delicious straight out of the oven and still soft days later!
But then again, I just love anything that has that salty and sweet combo.
Plus the crunch of the pretzels really give these cookies a little something extra!
We tore through the first batch of these and the next week I found myself making them again once our bananas went just past their prime.
You don’t want to use super soft/ripe bananas, but you can use either fresh bananas or just a little too soft bananas.
Just make sure and mash them up fine no matter what type you use!
Chunky Monkey Cookies
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana, not overly ripe
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup roughly chopped pretzels
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar and brown sugar until crumbly. Add in banana, peanut butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Gradually add in flour mixture on low speed. Stir until dough forms. Then stir in pretzels and chocolate chips by hand.
- Using a cookie dough scoop or your hands, form balls of dough with 2 heaping tablespoons of dough. Place on prepared baking sheets, leaving a little room for spreading.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until edges are lightly browned, and remove from oven.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.