Next movie night, instead of having popcorn and candy, have candy popcorn instead! It’s sweet, spicy and salty all at once.
Growing up one of my favorite surprises was discovering my mom was making Caramel Popcorn Balls.
She would only make them during the Fall months — so it was a special treat.
I would instantly know she was making them when I walked in the door by the smell of fresh popcorn.
After we shaped it into balls, we would always stand over the bowl together getting all the leftover caramel soaked kernels.
It was my absolute favorite part.
I was thinking about those memories the other day and had an idea to make some kind of candy popcorn.
I liked the idea of melting a chewy candy and tossing the popcorn in it…kind of like those flavored popcorns kids used to sell for school fundraisers.
I really love how this Hot Tamale Popcorn turned out! I used the 3 alarm Hot Tamales for extra flavor.
Once they are mixed with the marshmallows, you loose some of the heat/flavor. So by using the extra hot ones — it tastes like the original Hot Tamales.
Hot Tamale Popcorn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 5.5 oz Hot Tamales candy
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place popcorn in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a medium size non-stick pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add corn syrup, Hot Tamales, mini marshmallows and sugar.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until Hot Tamales have melted completely. This should take about 8 minutes. The mixture will be very sticky. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.
- Pour the mixture over the popcorn, and stir to completely coat the popcorn. Pour popcorn out onto parchment paper and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.