Rich and chocolatey cupcakes with a touch of heat are topped with spicy whipped cream frosting in these Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes! This flavor-packed dessert gives you Mexican hot cocoa in cupcake form!
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
They say that the cupcake craze is over. I don’t know who “they” are, but I don’t agree. Sure there are new things that are trendy right now, however cupcakes will always be adorably sized…and perfect for sharing! Plus, getting to use different colored/themed wrappers is a lot of fun.
I know the people at Jorge’s office wouldn’t be diving into a half eaten layered cake…but when I send in cupcakes they have no idea that half of them have already been inhaled! 😉
This cupcake flavor combination has been floating around in my head for a couple of years now. One of my favorite treats is a steaming cup of Mexican Hot Chocolate. I love the spicy chocolate and the delicious whipped cream on top.
In cupcake form, that translated into a rich dark chocolate cupcake and vanilla whipped cream that are both spiced with hints of cinnamon and spicy cayenne pepper. In one word, this cupcake is Divine.
For the Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Spicy Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shaved chocolate, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.1
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and cayenne pepper. Set aside. In another small bowl, whisk together hot water and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, vegetable oil and vanilla extract, mixing until combined. Then mix in flour mixture, alternating with water mixture, mixing until there are no lumps.
- Spoon batter into prepared tin, filling 3/4 full. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.5
In bowl of a stand mixer, combine the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar. Using whisk attachment, mix on high for 1-2 minutes, or until soft peaks have formed.
- Add vanilla extract, cinnamon and cayenne pepper and beat for about a minute longer, or until stiff peaks have formed.
- Transfer whipped cream to a piping bag and pipe onto cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle tops with shaved chocolate and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.