These moist, pumpkin streusel muffins are perfectly spiced with a crumbly cinnamon streusel topping. Drizzle them with an optional cream cheese icing to take them to the next level!
Why You’ll Love These Perfect Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
Warm, fragrant, spiced pumpkin goodness awaits! Here are a few reasons you’ll want to make this pumpkin muffin recipe as soon as the leaves start dropping:
- Scrumptious Topping: An easy, yet amazing cinnamon streusel topping bakes up golden brown right on top of the pumpkin muffins.
- Pumpkin Flavor: These pumpkin streusel muffins use an entire can of pumpkin making them super moist, full of pumpkin flavor and with no wasted ingredients!
- Divine Drizzle: Dress them up with a sweet drizzle of cream cheese icing on top before serving, if desired.
- Dessert or Breakfast: You can serve these muffins with a cup of coffee in the morning or after dinner for dessert, they are so delicious and sweet that they work for both!
Ingredients Needed For Pumpkin Muffins
This delectable pumpkin streusel muffin recipe uses readily available, inexpensive, baking ingredients. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
For the muffins:
- Flour: All-purpose flour works here.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: Use store bought pumpkin pie spice, or I shared my recipe for homemade pumpkin spice mix in the recipe card below.
- Baking Soda: Rising agents insure tender, fluffy muffins.
- Pumpkin Puree: I use a 15 oz can of pumpkin, but you can also use homemade pumpkin puree. Do not use canned pumpkin pie filling as it is already sweetened and seasoned.
- Sugar: I use a combination of granulated sugar and light brown sugar.
- Vegetable Oil: For an extra-moist muffin, I recommend using oil, however you can use melted butter or unsweetened applesauce.
- Vanilla Extract
- Paper Muffin Liners: Or spray your muffin tin with bakers joy if you want to skip the liners.
For the streusel:
- Flour: All-purpose works here, too.
- Sugar: Either white, brown, or a combination of the two will taste delicious.
- Unsalted Butter: If using salted butter, omit the 1/4 teaspoon of added salt.
- Cream Cheese: Use full-fat, softened cream cheese.
- Sugar: Powdered or confectioner’s sugar is a must here.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract provides the best flavor.
How to Make Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
These easy pumpkin muffins are a culinary triple threat with three simple, but delicious layers. No hand mixer or stand mixer needed. Just a couple of bowls and a whisk!
How to Make Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
- Streusel: Whisk together flour, sugar, and cinnamon, and then stir in melted butter until crumbly.
- Dry Ingredients: Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, pumpkin spice, baking soda and salt.
- Wet Ingredients: Whisk together pumpkin, sugar and brown sugar. Beat in eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Combine: Slowly whisk in the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture, until there are no lumps. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full and top each muffin with streusel topping.
- Bake: Bake muffins for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Optional Drizzle: Beat cream cheese icing ingredients until smooth. Drizzle on top.
Tips & Variations
Take a moment to read tips and variations below to help guarantee success!
- Caution: Don’t overfill the muffin tins with batter as the cinnamon streusel topping will make up some of the volume.
- Oil vs. Applesauce: Vegetable oil or melted butter is preferred for an extra moist muffin, but you could substitute applesauce for a light, fluffy, yet slightly less moist pumpkin muffin.
- Don’t Over-Mix: Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients gently, just until combined. If you over stir the batter, it can overdevelop the gluten and cause dry muffins.
- No Pumpkin Spice? Make your own by combining 4 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cloves, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/2 tsp allspice.
- Bake A Loaf: If you would prefer to bake a loaf of bread instead of muffins, head over to my best pumpkin loaf recipe . It’s the same recipe, but baked into a loaf! Simply add the streusel over the loaf before baking. Lightly cover with foil half way through baking to keep the topping from over-browning.
Storing Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
Store muffins in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Take them out of the fridge and bring to room temperature before serving. For that just baked taste and feel, microwave chilled muffins for 10 to 15 seconds.
Pumpkin streusel muffins can be frozen. Freeze muffins wrapped tightly in saran wrap, then placed in a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months. For best results, freeze without the drizzle.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Best Pumpkin Cake
- Best Pumpkin Bread
- Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Best Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Easy Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
Pumpkin Spice Muffins:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Optional Cream Cheese Icing:
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place paper baking cups into muffin pan. Set aside.
- Cinnamon Streusel: In a small bowl, whisk to combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and stir with a fork until crumbly (can also beat with a hand mixer until crumbly). Set aside.
- Pumpkin Muffins: In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, pumpkin spice, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sugar and brown sugar. Beat in eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Slowly whisk in the flour mixture, until there are no lumps. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Top each muffin with about 2 to 3 tablespoons of streusel mixture and gently press down.
- Bake muffins for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cream Cheese Icing: In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. If needed, slowly add more milk until you reach a good drizzle consistency.
- Drizzle the frosting onto the warm muffins and serve immediately!
If you try these muffins, make sure and leave a comment/review below letting me know how they turn out!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.