Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup was one of the very first dishes I learned to cook after Jorge and I got married (eep – 7 years ago on Sunday!). In fact, it was the first soup I ever made…so it holds a very special place in my heart!
However, I have never found a slow cooker version that I liked as much as my stove top method. And on a regular weeknight, I don’t always have that kind of time to commit to developing flavors in a soup.
I have tried a few slow cooker recipes over the years and it just wasn’t the same. And then I realized the problem — the tomatoes. In my stove top version you cook the tomatoes down with the onions.
So when I added fresh tomatoes to the crock pot, it just wasn’t the same effect. Then last month I tried it one more time with a couple of cans of fire roasted tomatoes and BAM! Perfect chicken tortilla soup — just like my stove top version!
It has since become a weekly recipe in our rotation and Jorge gets really excited when the delicious smell starts wafting up into his office upstairs.
This soup could not be any easier. You throw everything in a crock pot and stir. Then after it has cooked all day and made your whole house smell amazing, you shred the chicken and stir in some fresh cilantro. That’s it!
Tons of flavor in such an easy dinner. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) diced fire roasted tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 can original rotel (or mild)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- tortilla strips (or crushed tortilla chips)
- lime wedges
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- or crumbled cotija cheese
- Combine all Chicken Tortilla Sopu ingredients (except cilantro) in slow cooker and stir. Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Remove chicken breasts from soup and shred. Return to soup. Add fresh cilantro and stir to combine.
- Serve warm with optional toppings!
- Store leftovers, in the refridgerator, for up to a week in an airtight contianer. You can also freeze leftovers in freezer safe containers for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 58mg Sodium: 866mg Carbohydrates: 19g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 27g