This copycat Taco Bell Enchirito recipe combines the delicious flavors of seasoned ground beef and refried beans, wrapped in a warm tortilla, topped with hot sauce and cheese. Just like the one from the drive thru, but so much better!
Why You’ll Love This Taco Bell Enchirito Recipe
With a combination of flavors from Mexican classics like enchiladas and burritos, this enchirito recipe has a lot to love. Plus it’s ready in a snap!
- Taco Bell Upgrade: Skip the fast food counter and make your favorite enchirito at home! You are in complete control of the ingredients and this homemade version has a lot more flavor.
- Quick & Easy: This meal has just a few ingredients and simple cooking steps that can be prepped ahead for an even easier weeknight dinner.
- Satisfying: This meal is easy to make but it keeps you feeling full for hours with the combination of protein packed ground taco meat and hearty refried beans.
- Affordable: Taking a family of four through the drive thru can be expensive! Making your own at home tastes better, but is also easier on your wallet.
What Is An Enchirito?
An Enchirito from Taco Bell is basically a combination of menu favorites. It takes a flour tortilla, refried beans and ground beef (burrito inspo!) and combines it with hot sauce (enchilada inspo!) and then covers it all in melty shredded cheese. It’s like an enchilada and a burrito all rolled together.
What You’ll Need
A few ingredients and a few minutes of prep time and you’ve got yourself a filling Taco Bell Enchirito in no time. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
- Ground Beef: You can use ground turkey or chicken, too. If you like spicy foods, try this recipe with my favorite spicy taco meat!
- Onion: Diced white or yellow onion.
- Taco Seasoning: Store bought or homemade taco seasoning both will work great.
- Beef Broth: Or water, to give the meat juiciness.
- Refried Beans: You can use canned refried beans or homemade refried beans for more flavor.
- Flour Tortillas: Store bought or homemade flour tortillas, but they need to be burrito sized.
- Taco Bell Hot Sauce: If you don’t have Taco Bell hot sauce, you can also use red enchilada sauce.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
How to Make an Enchirito
Grab your skillet and let’s get cooking! For full instructions, scroll down to the recipe card.
- Taco Meat: Cook your ground beef with the diced onions, beef broth and taco seasoning until no longer pink. Breaking apart the meat as it cooks.
- Heat: Warm up your refried beans in a microwave safe bowl, in the microwave. Wrap the flour tortillas in a wet paper towel and microwave until warm.
- Fill: Fill the warm tortillas with refried beans and ground beef and roll them up to form the enchirito.
- Top: Top with hot sauce and cheese and dig in!
Tips & Variations
This Taco Bell enchirito recipe is so good as is, but sometimes you want to shake things up!
- Melt: If you like the cheese on top melted, pop it under the broiler for about 30 seconds!
- Different Fillings: Try adding sautéed bell peppers or jalapeños, if you like things spicy.
- Toppings: Sour cream, cilantro, guacamole, sliced avocados, or enchilada sauce can all be tasty toppings!
- Queso: Instead of topping it with shredded cheese, try drizzling some hot queso over the top.
What To Serve With Enchiritos
- Rice: Mexican Rice makes a great side to soak up the sauce
- Corn: This Mexican street corn is always a hit, or you can try this easy Mexican street corn salad.
- Dessert: For something sweet, how about Taco Bell copycat cinnamon twists!
How To Store Leftovers
As they can get soggy, I recommend storing the prepared ingredients separately and combining them fresh when you are ready for another enchirito. Another option is to store them without the sauce on top.
- Fridge: Store the burrito (without sauce on top) in an airtight container, or wrapped in foil, for up to 3 days in the fridge. Reheat them in a microwave until warm throughout.
- Freezer: You can also store them (without sauce on top) in the freezer wrapped tightly in foil or a zip top bag for up to three months. Defrost in the fridge overnight. Then, reheat in the microwave until warm throughout.
Taco Bell Enchirito Recipe
- In a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat, cook the beef, onions, taco seasoning and beef broth, breaking apart the meat as it cooks, until the beef is no longer pink. Set aside.
- Heat the refried beans in the microwave, or on the stove top, until hot.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Spread 1/4 of the refried beans down the middle of a flour tortilla, then top with 1/4 of the meat mixture. Fold the sides of the tortilla in, then starting on one side, roll the tortilla into a burrito. Repeat until all burritos are assembled.
- Microwave: Heat the burritos in the microwave for 1 minute to ensure they are good and hot. Top burritos with hot sauce and shredded cheese. You can serve like this, or microwave for 1 more minute to melt the cheese on top.
- Oven: Preheat oven to 425°F. Place burritos in an oven-safe dish. Top each burrito with hot sauce and shredded cheese. Bake for 7 minutes, or until cheese is melted. (Or turn on the broiler and broil the top until melted, about 30 seconds!)
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.