This beloved Authentic Guacamole Recipe is quick, flavorful, and perfect for enjoying with your favorite tortilla chips. You’ll love this simple, mouthwatering dip.
Authentic Guacamole, Made in a Molcajete
Is there any more beloved dip than fresh, well-balanced guacamole? This creamy, tangy, savory blend of avocados with lime and other aromatic ingredients is just right served with crunchy chips – and all kinds of other foods, too.
You may be familiar with picking up a tub of guacamole from the cold case at the grocery store, but did you know making it is super easy, too? That’s right! This iconic food is actually very simple, and only takes a few minutes to whip up from scratch. This recipe is a classic, authentic guacamole that’s best made in a molcajete, but which you can also make in a mixing bowl – more on that in a minute!
What Is a Molcajete?
A molcajete is a traditional mortar and pestle, used in Mexican cooking to blend, crush, and mash ingredients. Unlike using a blender, when you crush and grind your ingredients in a molcajete, they aren’t just chopped – the crushing action releases tons of flavor. If you don’t have a molcajete, you can use a plain mortar and pestle, or a mixing bowl and a wooden spoon, to mash up some great, authentic guacamole.
What Is Traditional Guacamole Made Of?
Traditional guacamole can be made in different ways, depending on the recipe and the region. Some versions of guacamole are literally mashed avocados with salt! Other recipes have more bells and whistles, but they are still just as authentically Mexican. My recipe keeps things simple and classic.
- Avocados: The star of the show! I usually use Hass avocados.
- Onion: Red onion adds a pop of color, but white or yellow onions are also fine.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro is crucial for perfect guacamole in my book – but if you don’t like cilantro, you can definitely leave it out or substitute chopped fresh parsley.
- Hot Pepper: For a little kick, add some minced serrano or jalapeno pepper.
- Tomato: Not all guacamole recipes include tomato, but it definitely adds a lovely fresh, juicy note.
- Lime: For tanginess, you’ll need the juice of one lime.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste.
How to Make Authentic Guacamole
If you ever worried that truly authentic guacamole would be hard to make, these instructions prove otherwise. It’s literally as easy as one, two, three:
- Pre-Mash the Avocados Slightly. Halve the avocados one by one, remove the pit, and peel them. Drop the halves into the molcajete (or a medium-sized bowl), and begin to mash.
- Add the Remaining Ingredients. Add the rest of the ingredients (red onion, cilantro, jalapeno, tomato, lime juice, salt, and pepper) to the avocados. Mix until combined, but don’t overmix or the guacamole texture won’t be as good.
- Enjoy! Serve immediately, with tortilla chips or other dishes of your choice.
Tips for Success
Want to know more about making guacamole? You’re in the right place! These are my top tips for making perfect guacamole, the easy way.
- Choose Good Avocados: A ripe avocado should give a little when you give it a gentle squeeze – but it should still feel a bit firm, too. Avoid avocados that are rock hard, and avoid squishy ones, too.
- Use Fresh Ingredients: While shortcuts like dried onion or herbs are okay in a pinch, guacamole tastes best when you make it fresh, from scratch.
- Leave It a Little Chunky: Over-mashing and over-mixing can lead to more of a baby food texture, so combine your ingredients gently, and leave some chunky pieces in there for extra flavor and texture.
What to Serve with Authentic Guacamole
What goes with guacamole besides chips, you say? I say, everything! These are just a few dishes that are perfect with authentic, from-scratch guacamole:
- More Dips: You can also serve it with more fun dips to make a hearty appetizer. I recommend some Homemade Pico de Gallo and Tomatillo Avocado Salsa.
- Burgers: Everyone loves ketchup, Mayo, and mustard – but a guacamole burger is awesome, too! Try adding some to your favorite hamburger or even this Greek Turkey Burger.
- Salads: Replace the avocado in any salad (like this Air Fryer Chicken Fajita Salad) with guacamole for an instant upgrade.
- Taquitos: You always need guac to dip taquitos in! I have a couple of great recipes for Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos and Cheesy Beef Taquitos.
Storing Leftover Guacamole
Store guacamole in an airtight container for up to 3 days. When storing, I store guacamole pressed down, with plastic wrap pressed down directly against the guacamole. This will prevent any air from turning the guacamole brown.
Can I Freeze This?
Yes, guacamole is easy to freeze! I recommend storing it in a small freezer container or freezer bag, leaving as little air in the container as possible. Then freeze, for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, and stir well before using.
More Great Party Dip Recipes
Looking for more easy party dips? Here are a few more favorites I think you will love:
- The Best Texas Caviar
- Homemade Pico de Gallo
- Cheesy Taco Beer Dip
- Crockpot Jalapeño Corn Dip
- Easy Beer Cheese Dip
- Smoked Fish Dip
- The Best Homemade Tzatziki
- Hot Spinach Dip
Authentic Guacamole Recipe
- 3 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tomato, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- In the molcajete (or a medium-sized bowl), place the avocado halves and begin to mash.
- Add the red onion, cilantro, jalapeno, tomato, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined, but do not overmix.
- Serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.