Get those glasses of milk ready, because I’m sharing my must-make recipe for the Best Buttery Chocolate Chip Cookies ever. Sharing is caring when it comes to warm, chewy chocolate chip cookies, just out of the oven. These are comfort food at its finest!
Before we begin: go ahead and turn your oven on to 350°F. While you’re at it, pour yourself a tall glass of milk. Believe me. You’re going to want to be on standby for these cookies!
My hunt for my perfect chocolate chip cookie is 5 years in the making. I’ve been adventurous with Chunky Monkey Chocolate Chip Cookies and White Chocolate Key Lime Cookies, and then there’s one of my other favorites, Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. All delicious, but not a simple, classic chocolate chip cookie in its purest form.
All I have ever wanted was to be able to make the perfect chewy chocolate chip cookie in under 30 minutes. It has taken me many a-try, but I think I’ve finally aced my perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Obviously, I say my perfect chocolate chip cookie, because we all know that everyone has their own idea of what makes a cookie perfect. But no matter where your loyalty lies on the cookie spectrum, I think these are pretty darn close to perfection!
The hunt is officially over and my jeans are officially tight. But what are the characteristics that make a binge-worthy chocolate chip cookie? I’m glad you asked:
- Easy Ingredients: This classic cookie recipe is so straightforward. It only needs a handful of basic ingredients for the utmost flavor payoff!
- Zero Chilling: These chocolate chip cookies are quick. Those who know me, know it wouldn’t be a perfect cookie recipe unless it’s ready to bake without having to chill the dough!
- Soft & Chewy: I love a soft, thick and chewy chocolate chip cookie, with crispy edges and the supreme chip to cookie ratio. These cookies are just that, and the dough for this recipe is made with butter (no shortening, please!) so the flavor and texture is really the definition of comfort food.
- Flour: Regular all-purpose flour will yield the most consistent results when it comes to cookies (and baking in general).
- Butter: Unsalted butter that’s been softened. If you use salted butter, I’d omit adding extra salt to the recipe!
- Sugar: I use a combination of granulated and light brown sugars, for the perfect amount of sweetness with a rich, caramelized flavor.
- Vanilla: For the best chocolate chip cookies, use pure vanilla extract and not the synthetic kind.
- Chocolate Chips: You’ll need a heapful of semi sweet or milk chocolate chips. Pick a good quality brand for best results!
- Baking Soda
This cookie recipe has no grand secrets or tricks up its sleeves. It’s simple and classic, just the way I like it! Here’s how to make these best-ever chocolate chip cookies:
Make the Dough: Whisk together the flour and dry ingredients. Cream the butter with the sugars, then add in the egg and vanilla. Finally, add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until the dough is just combined, then stir in the chocolate chips.
Roll the Dough: For the best possible cookies, I use a special technique when rolling and placing the dough balls! First, roll two tablespoons of dough into a ball, then tear the ball in half. Place on half torn-side-down onto a line baking sheet, followed by the second half directly on top. This hack makes all the difference in the final cookie texture! Continue with the remaining dough.
Bake: Bake the cookies in a preh-heated oven until the edges are lightly browned. Don’t fret if the cookies don’t look done in the middle, as they’ll set up as they cool! Once they’re out of the oven, let the cookies rest for a few minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack.
There is absolutely no better way to eat fresh baked chocolate chip cookies than warm from the oven with a big glass of milk. I am drooling just thinking about them!
Can I Make the Dough in Advance?
You can easily make chocolate chip cookie dough a day or two in advance, and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it! You can also freeze the dough to thaw and bake at a later date. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge or freezer.
- Don’t Overbake: These cookies are pure heaven in your mouth, largely because they’re ever so slightly underbaked. The secret to soft, tender, chewy chocolate chip cookies is to take them out of the oven when the time is up – even if they don’t look done – as they’ll continue to set up while they cool. Leaving them in longer can lead to crunchy, crumbly cookies.
- Make Picture-Perfect Cookies: Ok, so this is more of a cosmetic tip than anything else. But did you ever wonder how food bloggers capture such swoon-worthy cookies? Get your chocolate chip cookies ready for their close up by shaping the dough as usual, and then placing a few chocolate chips directly on top before baking. This way the chocolate chips sit on top of the cookies, to really show off the texture.
Now that you’ve laid the groundwork for the ultimate chocolate chip cookies, you can make them your own with loads of easy add-ins. Here are some ideas:
- Nuts like peanuts, almonds, macadamias, pecans and hazelnuts
- Mini peanut butter cups or Reese’s Pieces
- White chocolate chips or mint chocolate chips
- Toffee bits or caramel chunks
- Craisins or raisins
- Mini marshmallows
Storage & Freezing
Store these cookies airtight on the counter. They’ll keep for up to 7 days, and they’ll stay soft thanks to a handy trick! Place your cookies into the container with a slice of bread. The added moisture will keep your chocolate chip cookies softer for longer!
More Irresistible Treats to Try
- The Best Cookie Cake
- Peanut Butter Pretzel Crockpot Candy
- Pecan Pie Brownies
- Maple Bacon Pancake Cookies
- Easy Cake Mix Cookie Bars
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons 1 stick plus 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup chocolate chips, semi sweet or milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture, mixing until completely combined. Stir in chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Roll two heaping tablespoons of dough into a ball. Tear the ball in half and place the torn side down on the cookie sheet. Take the second half and place it on top of the first half, leaving about two inches for spreading. (Watch video above to see what this looks like! It makes all the difference to the final cookie texture!)
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges are very slightly browned. The cookies will not look cooked in the center, but they will finish cooking while cooling on cookie sheet!
- Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. (Try not to burn your mouth on that cookie I know you are going to immediately eat as soon as it comes out of the oven.)
- Then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before storing. Store in an airtight container, for up to 7 days, with a slice of bread to keep them soft.
This post was updated on 01/22/2018 to include new photos and a video. The original recipe is still the same!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.