This easy Beef Stroganoff recipe is made with ground beef and a creamy sauce that makes it an absolute family favorite! Make it on the stovetop, in the crockpot or in your Instant Pot for a quick dinner that everyone will love.
Table of Contents
- Easy Homemade Beef Stroganoff
- What Is Beef Stroganoff?
- Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make Beef Stroganoff
- How to Make Beef Stroganoff in the Crock Pot or Slow Cooker
- How to Make it in the Instant Pot
- Tips for Success
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- Can You Freeze Beef Stroganoff?
- Beef Stroganoff
Easy Homemade Beef Stroganoff
This classic dinner is so cozy and creamy. Beef stroganoff is the perfect choice for a family-friendly meal and of course, it makes delicious leftovers! It’s hard to resist the combination of ground beef, dairy and mushrooms all served over warm egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
You can make this old-fashioned recipe on the stovetop or also in the Instant Pot! While the recipe card below has the stovetop instructions, I have written out how to make this simple dinner idea in the slow cooker or instant pot below. At the end of a long day – especially during the cooler months – there’s nothing quite like coming home to a kitchen filled with the hearty aromas of this satisfying recipe.
What Is Beef Stroganoff?
Beef stroganoff is an old-fashioned recipe from Russia. The original recipe has a base of sautéed beef mixed in a hardy sour cream sauce, then served over rice. In the US, beef stroganoff has been Americanized to include mushrooms, onions, cream, and egg noodles.
The American version of beef stroganoff is flexible. It can include a fresh mushroom sauce or the simple option of canned cream of mushroom soup instead. Use either ground beef, stew beef, or a good quality steak (think rib eye, sirloin, or beef tenderloin).
I also grew up with it being served with peas poured right on top! And occasionally, we used mashed potatoes instead of egg noodles.
This classic beef stroganoff recipe only needs pantry-staple ingredients. Canned soup is not included! I’m only using fresh ingredients, meaning this will be the best beef stroganoff recipe ever. This is all you need to make a fresh beef stroganoff (be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for specific amounts):
- Lean ground beef
- Butter – I prefer to use unsalted butter so that I can control the sodium level.
- Flour – This will will help thicken your stroganoff.
- Baby portobello mushrooms – You can also use full size portobellos but you will need to chop them into smaller pieces.
- White onion – Yellow onion also works
- Beef broth – You can also use chicken or vegetable broth
- Heavy whipping cream – You can also use half & half or whole milk if that is what you have one hand, but heavy whipping cream will give you the richest results!
- Sour cream
- Worcestershire sauce – This adds extra flavor, don’t skip it!
- Dijon mustard
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
Beef stroganoff is especially easy to make when you use ground meat. I make this on the stovetop for more control over the flavors and ingredients, but it can easily be made in a slow cooker or Instant Pot (see further down in this post).
Here’s how to make my homemade Beef Stroganoff recipe:
Brown The Meat. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook until it’s browned through. Next, add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic and stir often until soft (about 8 minutes).
Add Flour And Liquid. Evenly sprinkle flour into the pan and stir. Once the flour is fully incorporated, pour in the beef broth and heavy whipping cream.
Season The Mixture. Add the Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper to the pan. Adjust as needed.
Thicken. Allow the stroganoff sauce to simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add in the sour cream and parsley
Serve! Serve your homemade beef stroganoff over egg noodles with peas and garlic toast.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff in the Crock Pot or Slow Cooker
Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and mushrooms to the pan and cook until soft. Pour the flour over top and mix.
Transfer the meat and mushroom mixture to a slow cooker. Add in the beef broth, heavy whipping cream, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir together, then cover and cook on low until the mixture has thickened, about 4 to 6 hours.
Stir in the sour cream and parsley, then cook for an additional 15 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve as desired.
How to Make it in the Instant Pot
Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode and add in the butter and ground beef. Cook the meat until its browned through, then add in onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until soft.
Add in the beef broth, heavy whipping cream, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and egg noodles (optional). Stir to combine. Secure the pressure cooker lid and turn the valve to the sealed position.
Cook on Manual Setting or High Pressure for 2 minutes. Use Quick Release once the cooking is complete. Carefully remove the lid once the steam is done releasing, then stir in the sour cream and parsley. Serve as desired.
Tips for Success
- Use different kinds of meat: Ground beef makes for a classic stroganoff with great beefy flavor, but you can use different meat. Try ground turkey or chicken for a leaner option, or swap the meat for additional mushrooms or a plant-based ground meat for a vegetarian stroganoff. You could also use sliced beef, like sirloin.
- Not a mushroom fan? Beef stroganoff without mushrooms is very easy to make. The meal will still be filling and tasty without them! If I happen to not have any mushrooms, I like to double the onion, but that is a personal preference type thing!
- Mix it up with the herbs! Stir in fresh thyme, dill, or extra parsley in the mushroom sauce.
For the most classic American way to serve Beef Stroganoff, pour the meat and mushrooms sauce mixture over top of cooked egg noodles. It’s delicious and filling! Here are some more ideas:
- Over mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash
- With a hearty scoop of green peas on top (or on the side)
- With warm garlic toast on the side
- Swapping egg noodles for another pasta like penne
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover beef stroganoff is the best! The flavors have all melded together and tastes even better a day later. It will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply scoop the amount you want into a microwave safe bowl and heat until hot. Or you can spoon it into a small pot and reheat on the stovetop, stirring frequently.
Can You Freeze Beef Stroganoff?
I don’t recommend freezing beef stroganoff as this will affect the texture, but if you do decide to freeze it, do so before adding in the sour cream. Then you can defrost your mixture and proceed with the remainder of the recipe.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 8 oz baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped Parsley, optional
- cooked egg noodles
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add ground beef and brown the beef, breaking apart with a spatula. Add onion, cooking until onion starts to soften and become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook stirring often, until mushrooms are softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Evenly sprinkle flour into the pan, stir well and cook for 30 seconds. Add beef broth and heavy whipping cream. Season with Worcestershire Sauce, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, add sour cream and parsley.
- Taste and if the flavors don't pop, add a little more salt/pepper and stir. Serve hot and warm over egg noodles.
- You can also serve this dish over mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash.
- If your kids don't love mushrooms, chop them finely and they will have no clue they are there as they will blend in with the ground beef.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 553Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 179mgSodium: 467mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 37g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.