Slow Cooker Pot Roast (Secret Family Recipe!)
This easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast is an old family recipe with secret ingredients that combine to make a super flavorful & extra tender pot roast in the crockpot!
My Family’s Secret Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
I am crazy excited to be sharing this epic Slow Cooker Pot Roast recipe with all of you today. This recipe is one of my favorite family recipes that we make over and over and over again.
This crockpot pot roast shows up for our family Sunday dinner at least a couple of times a month! My Mom always tells stories about my granny making a big gorgeous pot roast every single Sunday, without fail.
I love carrying on that family tradition today and I am excited to share this easy recipe for how I make an epic pot roast in the crockpot!
How to Make the Best Crockpot Pot Roast!
This slow cooker pot roast has evolved over the years and includes a few unique ingredients you wouldn’t expect in a pot roast recipe.
We call them the “secret ingredients”, because no one would ever guess what goes into our pot roast recipe!
For the BEST pot roast gravy of your life, you will need red wine (I use a cabernet), coffee, soy sauce, garlic, cornstarch, black pepper and four packets of low sodium brown gravy mix.Honestly, if I could give you a bite through the screen, you would have no idea it was made with those ingredients! Everyone is always shocked when they hear the actual ingredients.
They all combine to make the most incredible, full flavored, beef gravy with a super tender pot roast.
Should I add vegetables to my crockpot pot roast?
Of course you should! Vegetables absolutely enhance the flavor of the pot roast and the amazing beef gravy.
There are a few vegetables that you can choose to add to your slow cooker with the pot roast:
- Yellow onions
I personally like to serve my pot roast over mashed potatoes, or mashed cauliflower, so I do not add the potatoes to the slow cooker. Also, if you do not like your carrots or potatoes super tender, I recommend adding them 3 hours before you are ready to serve your pot roast instead of at the beginning.
How to make a perfect Pot Roast in the crockpot, every time:
There are a few simple go to rules when making a slow cooker pot roast that I always abide by.
- Low and slow will give you the most tender and flavorful roast.
- Sear the roast in a skillet over high heat.
I have tried speeding up my pot roast and setting my crockpot on high, but my roast just never gets tender enough and your gravy can burn!
While some people believe searing meat holds in juiciness — that myth has been proven to not really be true. However, it does caramelize the surface of the meat, which enhances the flavor and adds additional complex layers of flavor to your pot roast that you wouldn’t normally get with your crockpot.
Serve your slow cooker pot roast over cauliflower mash or classic mashed potatoes! Or if you prefer a one pot dish, you can add a few diced potatoes directly to the crockpot when you add the other vegetables.
Don’t forget to grab a big bag of soft rolls to soak up all that amazing brown gravy with! It’s my favorite part!This Slow Cooker Pot Roast is incredibly easy to make and loaded with tender beef, soft carrots, mushrooms and a one of a kind brown gravy.
I hope you will give my families favorite dinner a try, I promise you are going to be seriously amazed with the flavor!
Please leave a comment/review below letting me know how it turns out for you! And if you like this recipe, make sure and also check out my family’s recipe for Slow Cooker Pulled Pork!
- 4 (1 oz) packets McCormick Brown Gravy Mix (low sodium)
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 8 oz red wine (cabernet)
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 8 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 lb bottom round roast
- 1 lb bag carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cups sliced portobello mushrooms
- In a large bowl, whisk together gravy packets and cornstarch. Slowly whisk in coffee so there are no lumps. Then whisk in wine, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, garlic and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat, add oil. Add meat and quickly sear on all sides. Transfer meat to crockpot.
- Top meat with carrots, onion and mushrooms. Pour gravy mix on top and place lid on slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until meat is tender.
- Remove pot roast from slow cooker and shred into chunks with two forks. Stir gravy and vegetables to combine.
- Serve pot roast topped with gravy and vegetables over mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash.
This recipe originally had instructions to also be made in the instant pot, however so many people were having burn issues that I removed those instructions. If you would still like to try it that way, try at your own risk! When I make it in the instant pot, I cook it on manual, High Pressure for 135 minutes and do a natural pressure release.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 145mg Sodium: 855mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 48g