Air Fryer Baked Potato Recipe
This air fryer baked potato recipe makes perfect baked potatoes with a crispy outside, and tender inside, every time! Plus, they cook quicker than they do in the oven!
Air Fryer Baked Potato
A baked potato in an air fryer may seem counterproductive, but the air fryer takes the heavy grease and oils out of deep frying and leaves the best parts of a crispy skinned baked potato! It is not only very convenient, but it produces one of the best baked potatoes I have ever had!
I used to make baked potatoes in the instant pot, but I really missed the crispy outside skin on a true baked potato. Then I tried them in the air fryer and never looked back!
Cooking a baked potato in an air fryer is faster and creates a perfect baked potato every time! A crispy outside and soft fluffy inside, with no need to preheat the oven. Read below for all my best tips and tricks on how to make the best baked potatoes in an air fryer!
Why cook a baked potato in air fryer?
The perfect baked potato has to have 3 things:
- a wonderful flavorful crispy skin
- soft fluffy interior and
- it has to be served hot to be able to melt all that butter, cheese, sour cream or whatever you choose to put on it. The air fryer does all of that!
Typically the air fryer is meant to be a healthy alternative to fried foods because you’re using less fat. You can’t exactly make a baked potato healthier in that way, but you sure can save some time and that, my friends, is a win! It is also more energy efficient to cook a baked potato in an air fryer and requires no preheating.
Whether you are making this air fryer baked potato topped with all of the fixings for your lunch or as a side to a nice juicy steak for your dinner, the most important question to ask yourself is, are you going to eat the potato skin? Or leave it? I am pro eating that delicious crispy and salty potato skin!
What ingredients do I need?
You only need 4 ingredients to make the perfect baked potato in an air fryer.
- Potato – cleaned and patted dry
- Oil – olive oil, avocado oil or canola oil
- Salt – larger kosher salt is great
- Pepper – freshly cracked gives you the best flavor
And that is all that you need to make perfect baked potatoes! While you only need simple ingredients, using high quality ingredients will give you the best finished product.
What kind of potatoes are best for baked potatoes?
Russet potatoes, also known as white potatoes as well as sweet potatoes are great to use as they contain a lot of starch and are absorbent. Other types of potatoes may become creamy and mushy as they don’t hold their shape as well.
What oil should I use in the air fryer?
You can actually use most types of oils in an air fryer. Choosing a high quality olive oil or avocado oil can actually up the nutrition level if that is what you are looking for. You can also use vegetable oil, canola oil or really whatever you have on hand.
How to make baked potato in air fryer
- It’s important to scrub your potatoes well and then pat them dry before cooking to remove any dirt.
- Toss potatoes in enough oil to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in the air fryer basket. You’ll want to make sure to give them enough room so that the air can easily circulate around each potato, so don’t over stuff the basket.
- Cook until tender, turning approximately halfway through.
- Serve immediately with toppings of your choice. See below for some of the endless possibilities!
- Chives, finely chopped
- Sour Cream
- Taco Meat
- Pico de Gallo
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded or melted
- Ham, diced
- Red Onion, chopped
- Green Onion, chopped
Can I reheat baked potato in the air fryer?
Yes! If you happen to have leftover potatoes and would like to crisp them back up toss them back into the air fryer for about 4 to 5 minutes, at 400°F, and enjoy all over again.
If you want to save time (no preheating the oven!) and bake the best baked potato with a crispy skin and perfect fluffy inside, you need to try this easy recipe to bake potatoes in your air fryer!
Please leave a review/comment below letting me know how they turn out for you!
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add potatoes to large bowl. Toss well with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in Air Fryer basket.
- Cook at 400°F for 30 minutes.
- Turn potatoes and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Serve immediately with toppings of your choice!
Reheat leftover baked potatoes: If you happen to have leftover potatoes and would like to crisp them back up toss them back into the air fryer for about 4 to 5 minutes, at 400°F, and enjoy all over again.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g